Compassion

By zawbentley - 26/09/2009 07:01 - United States

Today, I called my boss to let her know that I was suffering from severe depression and that my doctor suggested I take a month's leave. Her response? "Glad you are getting help, however we can't hold your job. No need to come to the office, we'll mail your stuff to you." FML
I agree, your life sucks 40 975
You deserved it 6 518

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Go sue happy. You got the doc's note already right?

Well unless you had something written from your doctor saying you needed to take leave, your boss had no obligation to hold your job for you. It's most likely going to be an ongoing problem and if you need to take that much leave for it it's most likely going to effect your performance again.

Comments

Depression is a mental illness, anyone who says anything about it being "weakness" or "choosing not to have fun" is just idiotic. I'd like to point out I've never suffered from it and I don't have any friends or relatives that suffer from it that makes me bias - any educated person knows what I've said to be a fact.

OMG ur boss is a bitch FYL. my dad had depression so i understand what you are going through. As sed above, "Depression is a mental illness, anyone who says anything about it being "weakness" or "choosing not to have fun" is just idiotic." i agree completely. i hope you can sue your boss once you are stable and completely out of depression GET BETTER MATE

you're dad had it not you, you dont know firsthand what depression feels like so you cant understand what they're going through on a personal level

No, but if someone close to you has depression, you sort of get the idea from how they act.

kiit_fml 0

They arent letting you go for being depressed. They're letting you go because they cant just hold onto employees when they suddenly need to disappear for a month. I know what depression is like, I know how much it sucks, but it is still a job, and they need to make room for someone who can be there when you cant.

dc89 0

But how about if the OP had cancer and had to take a month off? You probably wouldn't fire someone then.

lem0n_fml 0

Even if they DO need to make room for someone who can do the job, it's doesn't make it any less illegal under the FMLA.

its not illegal to fire someone for missing a month of work a judge would laugh at you not nice but true

leggyxo 0

Ive never heard of a doctor suggesting someone to stay off work for MONTHS for depression. Why not perscribe some Prozac and call it a day? Im sure losing your job caused even more depression. Good job "doctor". find a new one.

i'm on 20mgs of prozac and have been for nearly two months and have had no positive effects to date. when you are depressed it is incredibly hard to function; much like having a broken leg - things are difficult and at times impossible. anxiety also often walks hand in hand with depression - and it can be very difficult and painful to be in certian environments. basically, depression sucks. its not the boss' or the doctors fault, but the situations crappy.

Actually, generally when you ask for just a 'leave of absence' it is unpaid. Also, doctors can actually prescribe months off of work, I've seen and had it done. Usually this is when suicide is an option in the individuals mind, because they become a danger to themselves. Also depression causes anger a lot of times. I had to leave work for a month because I couldn't control myself when talking to clients or to my manager. I would go off on them when they were being "retarded" and it was going to cause me to lose my job in the long run, so either way- I needed a break. If it's a "right to work" state like Idaho, a boss can fire you for any reason, and you can almost never sue. Because it is "a right to work" state. You have the right to work, but so does everyone who needs your position.

This isn't that unheard of, or wrong. Depending on the job it may not be possable for a boss to be overly considerate. Knowing depression I can guess that what she actually said has been taken a little out of context and she's actually trying to be more open to your issues than you realise. As previous posters have said, if you honestly believe that you can go back in 1 month and be sorted then either you have yet to come to terms with what dperession actually means, or you're not actually that depressed. Take the time out and make sure you are in a healthy place before trying to return to work.

It's not his fault if he cant hold your job

FireFlie07 20

FMLA and ERISA guarantee you up to 12 weeks leave every twelve month period. If they fire you, you can sue! :) Time to Google your rights!

visage 0

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
Julle_fml 0

You're an idiot. If you have the answer on how to "get the **** over a depression" then - by all means - share it with the rest of the world, because you would be the only one on the planet knowing this.

You insensitive prat. Obviously, you never had, and never known someone with depression. One can't simply "get the F over it". Real clinical depression is different from just being upset about some random trivial thing.