Cheers

By Anonymous - This FML is from back in 2010 but it's good stuff - Australia

Today, I found out that the friend I stayed up with for nights on end, talking out of depression and suicide, has "politely" posted up on Facebook that he secretly hates me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 33 115
You deserved it 3 547

Top comments

cyfclife 0

Hang in there. Find a true friend or talk with your parents.

I had a similar situation, turned out she was bipolar, that may be the case with your "friend" too.

Comments

perdix 29

There's only so much a guy can take from whiny bitches. I'm sure your conversations were all about you and never about him. If you want to be a friend, you have to take an interest in them, as opposed to always bumming them out with your self-indulgent, self-destructive rambling. Don't use a "friend" as a free therapist. You ought to teach him a lesson and keep living.

killabee 0

Finally someone who agrees with me on the dynamic of the relationship, everyone else seems to think the friend was the depressed one and OP was the listener.

RedPillSucks 31

Didn't the FML say she was talking him out of depression and suicide?

killabee 0

It does now, didn't before though. Moderators, grumble grumble.

killabee 0

Erm, whatevs. It's been changed.

perdix 29

Thanks. I call it "tough love."

Reply saying "You may hate me, but at least I am not a whiny little bitch who talks about killing themselves because life is too hard. Go suck a .45 douche bag"

DocBastard I'm guessing you're a Cartman fan...... And that's why Kenny's so awesome, he can die repeatedly but still make a reappearance.

RedPillSucks 31

No, no, no. You misunderstood me. I was saying that any comment on here could result in an insult. You made a seemingly innocuous statement, and I insulted you in order to illustrate my point. I didn't mean it, nor did I intend to be mean. Just using you as an illustration. Though yes, Cartman is awesome.

steffybabi 0

he's not a friend he deserved go throw depression if his ass is going to be a bitch to you when u helped him don't talk to that birch no more let him be if that's what he want!!

I take it this is more or less your only experience with individuals with severe clinical depression, and that many of the commenters on this page have no experience at all with dealing with other individuals suffering through chronic depression? Your friend often hates everything about his life. He probably goes through phases where he perceives every single thing around him as part of the system that's driving him to despair. That includes you. It's part of his illness. Dealing with someone with that kind of disorder is NOT easy, and if you can't handle it, you should get out for your own sake. But if you're going to stick around, he is sometimes going to hate you, even if you're the single most positive influence in his life. He's sometimes going to manipulate situations to make you look like the bad guy, to reflect that he feels you're controlling him. He's sometimes going to be angry at you and even borderline verbally abusive towards you, because you're probably the only person in his life who he can safely lash out at. And of course when he's feeling better, you can expect him to realize that you're a good friend. If you can't deal with ANY of this, get out, cut your emotional ties and let him deal with someone else.

I have had people with this problem and yes thats is exactly what I would say just didn't know there was no limit to how much you can write good advice hope you follow it not just preach

Unless you're the one who was depressed, in which case what a d-bag. I just realized the fml is kind of ambiguous about this.

killabee 0

They changed it to be more specific now, I guess however the mods interpret it is how it is. w/e. :/

l0lkitteh 0

Five years ago that would have been Livejournal drama

mintcar 9

I think Xanga was a little more popular than Livejournal.