Cheeky

By BurnedByAWaiter - This FML is from back in 2011 but it's good stuff

Today, I went on a blind date at a fancy restaurant. My date was running a bit late, so I went ahead and got a table. I got bored, so I decided to ask my waiter how I looked. He stood there, then said that, "It's against company policy to mock customers to their face." FML
I agree, your life sucks 41 592
You deserved it 8 443

Same thing different taste

Top comments

don't ask for the truth if you can't handle it.

JacksonCampbell 9

I really hate being put in the situation where you don't know if you should tell the truth or not. I, however, applaud the waiter. He did neither.

Comments

VasilisaUzhasnaj 29

I'm guessing you were waiting for a long time before you realized he wasn't coming.

iAmScrubs 19

You should say this to the waiter: "Here's a tip for you. You aren't getting one"

thebestof1984 0

Truth hurts! Op, I would report it to their management and try to atleast receive a free dinner out of it.

Alicia17C 2

he did nothing wrong. it's not the waiters job to compliment every woman that gets stood up.

Flutist 3

A waiter is supposed to serve the table and make their dining experience nice. If a woman asks you if she looks nice it takes two seconds to say "Yes" and move on.

JacksonCampbell 9

Like the manager is going to do anything because his employees were practicing company policy....

Flutist 3

He wasn't practicing company policy, he was being an asshole. Practicing company policy would have been to say, "I am sorry we aren't allowed to make comments--good or bad--about how people look." The guy chose the meanest way to phrase that comment. Yea, he might have been quoting 'company policy' but he was still an asshole and I am sure that is against company policy. Telling someone who is obviously waiting for someone that answering their question would be "mocking" them is the same as telling them they look like a dog. If I were Op and the manager was half a decent person then the waiter would be fired. That is not appropriate behavior.

SteelCladAngel 0

wow, what an asshole way to say 'you don't look good'. he could have said 'honey, you're not my type', and why not just go into the bathroom and look in the mirror? I'd say it's both a fyl and a ydi

She wasn't asking him out. She is clearly into herself and thought she was too good to get stood up and feeling like crap she asked the server that dumb question. He didn't have to say what he said but oh well, it was funny.

Flutist 3

Yea, because "it's funny" justifies cruelty? Good to know that. Going to kick some orphans now. Might even give them little sticks and make a YouTube video called "Orphans fight Witch with Wands--Just like Harry Orphaned Potter." :)

haha your welcome.. and that's awesome! I love guitars, ive always wanted to learn but never found the time :)

KVKdragon 26

complain to upper management. that way you'll get the last laugh in the end. what that waiter said was completely uncalled for

Flutist 3

KVK, you are right. You guys are really rude sometimes. She might have not been "ugly," even if she was it doesn't mean he gets to ruin someones night because he has no manners. If you work in the service industry, it is your job to make the experience nice for people. It is called waiter for a reason. It's people like the waiter who are rude then complain that they don't get tips. You can't do a nice, respectful job then go work at a desk job where you don't have to see people. His behavior was uncalled for. She hadn't done anything rude to the guy, why did he have to be rude?

eatmyshortssss1 8

Exactly, like when people working in stores ignore someone that doesn't fit the store's demographic. It's not like his/her money is any less valuable...

a_nutritionist 10

its called a waiter for a reason? since waiting has nothing to do with politeness and manners what exactly is that reason? and how does that reason relate to this situation? do you understand the words you type or do you just start throwing random crap on the screen that mimics the words of other peoples conversations youve heard and hope it makes sense? their job is to take orders, clear tables, make sure everything is running smoothly and generally service the people at the table, NOT pander to emotional idiots who think because theyre having a bad night they have to get those who are in a position of servitude to bow down and tell them how beautiful they are. pleasantries are one thing, if you want someone to lie to your face just to earn their way then speak to someone in sales. wait staff have more important things to do, and this person was an asshole for putting the waiter in that position in the first place. it was deserved.

CeeCee_fml 16

It's not that serious. She just asked him a simple question, not to balance three full glasses of water on his head while hopping on one leg. Relax.

Flutist 3

A waiter waits on the person, speaks pleasantly, behaves in a polite and timely manner. It was a sit down place, so yes it is his job to serve that person. And yes, his job is to serve. Not to be an asshole. If you feel uncomfortable answering questions about how someone looks then that is one thing. If he was a nice guy then he could have very well said, "I am sorry it is against company policy to hit on the customers." He would have made her feel good and maybe gotten a bigger tip. Yes, it sucks that people have to "pander" to people's emotions but this woman was nervous (everyone gets like that) and just wanted someone to make her feel better. She wasn't in tears, she wasn't asking them to listen to her life story, she just asked a simple question. He could have answered in any other way while still remaining within 'policy' and moving along with his life. "I am sorry I cannot comment on that, it is against policy' or "I am sorry, I cannot answer that question." Using the word "mock" was just cruel. THe guys behavior cannot be justified. Yea, maybe she asked the wrong person, but the guy did not need to destroy her confidence while he did it.

a_nutritionist 10

he did serve her. why should he degrade himself to make her feel good? people get nervous, they dont go around seeking compliments from strangers. i am looking at it from a real world perspective, she was a tool and deserved that response. youre looking at it from a business perspective of what is the best action for this individual to take. yes he could have done it in a less ridiculing way, and according to his job specification only barely within an acceptable guideline, but he didnt technically break any rules. it was a clever way of giving her exactly what she deserved without crossing the line. i have no sympathy for her, and applaud his response.

Flutist 3

How is it degrading himself? She didn't ask him to look at her cooter or shave her pits? She asked him if she looked okay? Which common courtesy would say he gives her a nice response instead of being an asshole about it. I don't see how being polite to someone degrades you, but I guess in "witty retort land" people get to say scathing things to people who were nervous because they had a date.

a_nutritionist 10

1. who are you quoting? 2. youre right, the entire service industry is degrading. im going to have to just strike my point, because the entire job is to pander to dumbasses. so lets say he wasnt doing his job, but i support the job he did. because in reality, people like that shouldnt be acknowledged let alone given a praising response. 3. being polite to someone who is being rude to you is degrading. and yes, its rude to ask complete strangers for compliments, which is exactly what she was doing.

Flutist 3

1. I was quoting a television show I was watching. 2. An eye for an eye leaves everyone blind. Even if she was being rude him being rude is not justified. A fancy restaurant usually implies paying a crap-load of money to go there. I am not saying she gets to ask him to lick her shoes but she does purchase the right to talk to the person and have him be friendly back. 3. Even if she was being rude in your book, I don't see her being rude. I see her being nervous and perhaps expecting too much. But his reply still went over the lines of proper 'job' descriptions. If you work as a stripper, you expect to have sexual comments made at you. If you work as a doctor, you expect people to cry about death and to see sad things. If you work as an actor you expect people to follow you in the papers and write articles about your love life. So if you work as a waiter at a fancy restaurant you should expect that people will, at times, be nervous about their dates, ask you how they look or if you can put the ring into the wine glass. I think the woman did a harmless thing and the waiter should find a different industry to work in if he can't have a bit of heart and help people out in his chosen field. Eating out isn't just about getting your food, it is about sharing something with someone else, dating or marriages and meeting with old friends. IF you can't understand that, then work at a fast food place.

a_nutritionist 10

1. *facepalm* 2. im going to agree to disagree, this has gone on too long. 3. again, youre arguing whether hes doing his job. and the reason i bothered to respond is to point out that the service industry doesnt pay bucketloads like the other jobs (stripping aside) that you mentioned. its not something most people get into as a career path, but when your choices are homelessness or giving people food youll find many people will choose the latter. people want money, and nobody gives a crap about ensuring the job they do in a remedial stepping stone job is done to perfection...unless you need the reference ;)

Flutist 3

A fancy restaurant isn't Denny's. I worked at one. They pay pretty good, depending on the boss.

cwmbear 0

Do you frighten horses in the street?

Flutist 3

Do you live in 1880? Why are there horses on the street?

An entire island in Michigan has no motorized transportation, only horses, and many major cities have police on horseback and carriage rides.

Flutist 3

I don't know. I wish they had something called the internet where you could type information like Horse Only Island into a bar and have it tell you. Oh well.

#10 He did tell the truth, if that IS company policy. :)

XxbrokeNCYDExX 6