Can't stop, won't stop

By Matt8 - 07/12/2012 01:07 - United States

Today, I found out that my wife, who is supposed to be a recovering alcoholic, drank an entire bottle of wine and then tried to hide it at the bottom of a garbage bin. To make matters worse, when I confronted her about it, she tried to convince me that our 5-year-old daughter had drunk it. FML
I agree, your life sucks 30 426
You deserved it 2 109

Same thing different taste

Top comments

theslimshadylp 6

Using a five year old as a scapegoat, that's pretty low.

Recovering alcoholics have been known to relapse several times. Be supportive. She's going to need your help to keep her back on track.

Comments

winkydog4056 16

NO ONE deserves this! OP, get to Al-Anon (12 step support for families of alcoholics/addicts). Hopefully the wife is willing to go to AA. If not, at least OP can get support on how to help him & his daughter. This is a FAMILY disease people. I know this FML....however, personally I am offended by the insensitivity of some of the comments.

wtf is wrong with you? maybe she will change, and maybe she won't. but even if she doesn;t one does not toss someone they love to the curb because they are flawed. Love is about acceptance, what you give, not what you get.

crazytwinsmom 25

Get her help right away before something happens! A neighborhood family lost their toddler who drowned while the mother was passed out drunk. The middle schooler daughter found him when she came home from school.

Alcoholics can change...if they want to change. There are a lot of people who choose to stop drinking because of how it affects their lives, and plenty are successful. The OPs wife has to truely want to change in order for her to be able to change.

Give her one more chance. If nothing works, then it's hasta la vista baby.

alcoholics can misunderstand u very easily.. so be gentle n patient to her.. if she depends on you!

KiddNYC1O 20

Denial is very stubborn. Get through it and you're good.

JAMSM 6

Beer with me here. She didn't want to hear you Wine about her drinking. You need to sit down with her in the living Rum or den, send the child away with a butterScotch, and have a talk with her. If she won't talk, shake it (don't stir) up a little, take her out on a romantic walk through the woods, sit down with her On The Rocks, and talk there (don't start by talking about that though, ease into that conversation). Just try not to be in too PUBlic of a place when you do. And if that doesn't help, don't be afraid to have her saying "Hello. My name is Brandy, and I'm an alcoholic."

TheyCallMeDamien 17