Can't choose

By Blackmailed - 21/09/2021 17:00

Today, I had a job interview. Everything was cool, until I found out that the HR recruiter was my mother-in-law. She told me that the work was mine if I break up with her daughter. I have until the next Wednesday to think about it. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 120
You deserved it 95

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Just accept you didn't get the job. If she dislikes you this much she will find a way to make your life living hell working there, if you even get to keep the job for long at all

Maybe I’m just ignorant but isn’t this illegal in some way?

Comments

Just accept you didn't get the job. If she dislikes you this much she will find a way to make your life living hell working there, if you even get to keep the job for long at all

Maybe I’m just ignorant but isn’t this illegal in some way?

This is not necessarily illegal, but just about every company in the world has rules against this in a very specific way. This violates ethics and conflict of interest since he's a family member. She should not have any hiring, evaluation or managerial authority over him, and should have recused herself from the decision-making process. It only would violate US anti-discrimination law if someone could argue it was related to marital status or gender, or possibly if it amounts to extortion it could be criminal. But in general it may not be illegal, but for any company that HR manager is asking to get her ass fired for ethics violations, and risks a lawsuit. Of course, don't know where this is, so laws could be different, but the ethics violation is pretty much universal.

Work with your mother-in-law? Nopalino! Next!

Squeezy Jibs 2

break up with the daughter, take the job, then get back together with the daughter. make sure the daughter knows this plan. that way, you get the job and you get to keep your girlfriend. the mother can't fire you for personal reasons and if she makes work living hell, contact the HR manager.

(1) Speak to the hiring manager - They, not HR usually have the say in hiring people. They need to know that your MIL is doing something blatantly illegal and immoral. (2) As long as MIL works there in HR she will make your life miserable if you accept the job - So I do not recommend it. And WHAT THE HELL? You would even consider breaking up with your wife to get a job! Unless it’s the one and only option you have verses starving then there should be no reason to consider that choice! (3) Speak to your wife about this - She needs to know what her mother is trying to pull off.

Not knowing the relationship between you and her, is there a chance she’s just testing you?

Quite possibly a trap... dump the girl, then get refused the job too...

hopejm 5

first you need to tell your wife immediately! she'll tell you what to do.

She never said you couldn't back together with her after you got the job