Can it, Susan

By unsuccessful popping - 18/06/2015 20:09 - United States - Tappan

Today, a woman bitched me out at the grocery store, saying that since I'm not Indian, I shouldn't be wearing a bindi - a red dot on my forehead - because it's "cultural appropriation". I was too embarrassed to tell her it was actually a pimple I'd been trying to pop on my forehead. FML
I agree, your life sucks 32 538
You deserved it 2 860

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Even if it was a bindi- who's she to assume you don't identify with that culture based on your looks alone? There's a thousand possible extenuating circumstances that could have given you justification to wear a bindi.

Don't try to pop it, despite how embarrassing it may be. Wait until there's white on it and then try. If you don't, the pimple will just get worse. I know the struggle, OP. Good luck!

Comments

How would she know you werent Indian, anyway? Were you wearing a shirt with your family tree on it? I hate assuming, self-entitled ass clowns. Sorry, OP!

You can't really tell by someone's looks what their cultural background is. I'm part Native American on both sides of my family, but I look 100% European descent. My great grand father was a minimum of 50%, while his father was 100%(Or as close as you can get.), yet my grandmother and her three siblings all took after my great grandmother's European features. Because of people like this, I can't celebrate a part of my family history without being a "cultural appropriating biggot", so you really should ask, kindly, about a person background instead of assuming just by their looks.

#51 I'm like 90% that they used their native American heritage purely as an example, not suggesting Indian and native American were the same. For example, I'm more Italian and Native American but I take after my dad's british/german side.

Indian people's looks run the whole gamut. From almost Scandinavian pale to dark as night. It's impossible to just tell from looks if one is Indian or not. And I'm talking about real Indian here, not Native American

#58, I should of specified that me using Native American was an example of not looking like your cultural background. I apologize for the confusion. I was well aware that Indian meant from India in this fml. I blame Christopher Columbus for the mix up.

JayVicious 20

i understood your meaning #62 I am Native American on both sides as well and Scott/Irish/German. My full blood sister looks more Native American while I'm told I look more Scott/Irish.

I wish I could believe this actually happened.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
juststephhere 23

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

I'm an Indian myself and I used to work at retail too. At times I highly despise my own race and I normally do not make eye contact with them because they can be so judgmental and cheap. This one time this Indian customer asked me why do I work here and not pursuing engineering or medicine. It's so pathetic. I'm sorry OP you had to endure that. But not all Indians are like that honestly.

Self hatred is the worst kind of hatred..

juststephhere 23

That women needs to get her facts straight. Bindis are not only to be worn by Indians. They're a symbol of Hinduism, which is a very accepting religion, one that allows any race to join. That lady needs to educate herself and stop with her ridiculous stereotypes.

Should have told her you were Harry Potter and it was finally healing...

That would've been hilarious and awesome at the same time!!!

TomeDr 24

Oh man I would have loved to say, in a very icy voice, "it's..a...PIMPLE!" Trust me when I say that to any onlooker, she would have appeared far more foolish than you!

Should have tried to pop it in front of her.