Burning rubber

By Anonymous - 16/05/2021 00:01

Today, I bought a car that literally caught fire seconds after I started the engine. The dealership then fobbed me off, saying I'd driven it off their forecourt (by about 3 yards), so it was entirely my problem, but they still expect my monthly payments to be on time. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 179
You deserved it 85

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Kraths 16

And that is why consumer protection laws exist

May need to find yourself an attorney but, unless you were making mechanical changes to the vehicle before you drove it off their lot, you are due either a) the dealership repairing your vehicle to its original condition -which seems unlikely or worthwhile so b) a replacement vehicle that is similar to the damaged one or c) and I highly recommend this choice since this dealership doesn’t seem to be very consumer friendly, the ability to end the contract.

Comments

Kraths 16

And that is why consumer protection laws exist

most states have lemon laws to protect the consumer.

Due to the words "fobbed me off" and "forecourt", I'm getting the feeling this took place in the UK.

Okay...? and I'm sure the UK probably has cinsumer protection laws that the o.p. should/should have looked into.

May need to find yourself an attorney but, unless you were making mechanical changes to the vehicle before you drove it off their lot, you are due either a) the dealership repairing your vehicle to its original condition -which seems unlikely or worthwhile so b) a replacement vehicle that is similar to the damaged one or c) and I highly recommend this choice since this dealership doesn’t seem to be very consumer friendly, the ability to end the contract.

also always get an inspection. come on man trusting salespeople is just asking to get screwed

thatslifeiguess7 16

You didn't test drive the car first? Look under the hood? Take someone with you?

don't pay...let them repo it then you're only out the down payment, they get no more of your money, and they're stuck with a 2 ton toasted paperweight

slkeithh 14

Yeah that's definitely not how that works.

No that's pretty much how it works the only thing missing is the credit but with the fact that it caught on fire 3 yards from the dealership you can probably get that removed. If they even tried a lawsuit to get their money they would end up paying them counter lawsuit.

slkeithh 14

Judging by the OP's use of vocabulary (fobbed, forecourt) I imagine they're not in the US so can't say what laws are in place. Surely there is something to be done. Waiting for an update, OP!!

It say United States-Essex Junction, so I assume that means they are in the USA. Anyway, aren't there Lemon Laws?

Not in a couple states like LA. But even then, barely off the lot and on fire would be super hard not to win a lawsuit for damages and risk of life.