Boundaries

By Sfg_926 - 26/06/2016 05:02 - United States - Newberg

Today, I told one of my coworkers that she looked really cute today. Later she sent an email to me and cc'd the entire office saying, "It really makes me feel uncomfortable when you say things like that to me. And I shouldn't have to feel that way at work." FML
I agree, your life sucks 14 908
You deserved it 3 579

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Answer her politly, "I'm really sorry making you feel that way by telling you something nice, I'll do it never again" and don't forget to cc it to all others. That's a way to let know the others, how stupid she is, without saying it.

Well, at least now you and everyone else know not to compliment her on her appearance!

Comments

She's right to demand the respect, but barring context I don't get, that seems a bit harsh. In your shoes, I'd reply all to the email with a simple but pithy apology. I'm seeing a lot of really harsh comments in here, btw. I'm surprised at how many MRA creeps and avowed feminists are flying off the handle without any real context. Simmer the **** down, people - based on the only clue we have, he said "You look cute," not "You got a purdy mouth" or "That outfit will look great on my floor," so the YDI comments are unwarranted. On the other hand, saying "feminist bullshit" when a woman wants autonomy over her own desirability is also utter feckless assholery, you pantsless twatfarts. "Let's not make assumptions" is the moral of the story.

This comment is a beacon of tempered reason amid an ocean of polar opinions. Very well said, Mike.

If it makes her feel uncomfortable, that's fine. She's allowed to define what does or doesn't feel uncomfortable and there may be a reason behind that goes beyond her feeling like it was inappropriate for the workplace. But she should've approached OP directly to say "that makes me uncomfortable and I'd appreciate it if you didn't say things like that to me."

I'm a woman and feminazis like OP's coworker and some of the commenters make me want to lose my shit. If I see someone that, in my opinion, looks nice, I am not afraid to express it. Similarly, if someone thinks I look nice, they are free to say it, but politely. I don't see the reason why I should be offended if someone compliments me. No, I do not exist only for men (or women, for that matter) to look at me and judge my looks. But if someone finds me pretty, I don't know why I should have anything against it. I say thank you and move on. I don't base my self worth on these compliments (as shouldn't anyone) but I'm not offended by them.

Reply all "I was not aware that my statement (insert exact quote here) made you feel uncomfortable. I apologize if you felt that way and will refrain from further communication that may be perceived inappropriate. Your name" Add no "thank you"s, "please", "have a good day" or anything

cornwallus24 8

Being old school and growing up when a lady would have loved a nice compliment like that unfortunately is dead and gone!Just goes to show you we live in one f...ked up society.I feel so sorry for today's generation.

Soverain 15

The way she handled that situation was way out of line. CCing the ENTIRE office instead of going to talk to OP or emailing them personally is quite frankly really petty. I like how based on OP's quote that she intentionally left out the details and made it extremely vague to make OP look like a complete asshole.

I'm sure that she just wanted more attention. "Oh, someone in the office called me cute, let everybody know this..."

There's a difference between saying an outfit is really cute and telling someone that outfit makes them look really cute. She shouldn't have broadcast it to the whole office, unless this has been a repeating pattern of yours and in that case she should have gone to HR, and you should have chosen your words more carefully.

There was no mention of her outfit

thunderniron 22

People in this country have just gotten stupid. It's a dam shame when you can't even pay someone a genuine compliment without them going all schizoid on you.

bluestripedsockm 14

OP I ask for a follow up please. There has to be more to the story than this, or at least before I click the button. As a woman, I've recieved a few comments in the workplace and life regarding my looks (both good and bad), and sometimes they can be uncomfortable. However I've never humiliated/intimidated (aka harassed) someone like this for saying so. I politely but firmly tell them to stop and move on with my day. "Cute" was probably not the best word to use in this situation because of how the vague the context is, no matter the intention behind it. At the very least, a private chat would have been in order or a trip to HR/Boss's office if it continues, not this immature shit. Best of luck OP!