Awkward small talk

By mybad - 25/08/2009 13:21 - United States

Today, a customer brought her kids into the store where I work. I like to make people laugh, so being my usual joking self I kidded, "Why aren't those kids in school?" She didn't laugh when she said that their house burned down the night before and the kids had no clothes to wear to school. FML
I agree, your life sucks 48 212
You deserved it 13 275

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Looking at a six year old and going, "Wait, I thought college started today!" is funny. Asking, "Shouldn't they be in school?" is going to come across as nosy and/or passive-aggressive (or passive-snarky), even if you do it with a smile. YD a retort for your poor judgement, though FYL for the coincidence of the fire. @6: Their house burnt down the night before, they're going to be a little traumatized. I think they deserve the day off.

Comments

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
tyhillman 0

If you said it in a funny tone, she is just a bitch to not realize it. I understand she went through a traumatic experience but that doesn't give her the right to be mean to you. I prefer a friendly staff wherever I might go, unlike everyone else here according to their comments.

theres no way you could've known that, its not your fault

nam3 0

how was that supposed to be funny? u must be as funny as Carlos mencia YDI for trying so hard

xero_art 0

**** there lives. Depending on the store, u should have just gave the kids like lollipops or something on your own dime

and have there been any fires anywhere? fake most likely

BaGu_fml 0

yes, yes they did, however the woman had a bow in her hair.

I know 37. One time I was volunteering at a saturday school. A kid walks in literally 1 and half hour into the 4 hour school day. He was the only one that late. I jokingly said,"A little late, aren't we?" and his dad flipped out and started ranting on about how the roads were slippery and it was dangerous. I feel you OP.

ryguy997 0

then what dd they wear to the store?

where did they get the clothes to wear to the store.

thatisjank 0
isminei 6

37- Have you ever had your house burn down? Mine burned down less than six months ago and it's hard to joke around when it happens, I missed school for a week because we were looking for somewhere to stay. She's not a bitch for not joking around, she's human. FYL OP, you didn't know.

I agree!! I'm from slave lake Alberta MY WHOLE TOWN BURNT DOWN!! I no very god Dam well how it feels it's been a whole year may 16th and the houses are still not finished being rebuilt ..living in a tiny ass trail or or camper for a year and a half sucks and yes we were all left with nothin

StingMunFizzy 0

Yeah seriously.. Wtf? Their house burned down you douche bags.. ugh what the **** has this world gone to?

what he meant is that he doesnt care about the OP and his slightly awkward situation. I like to think that everyone cares even a little about a house burning down.

Geez, why does it matter to you if the kids are in school or not. I know you 'tried' to be funny, but I hate people like that.

agreed, people need to mind their own business once in a while

whooooop 0

Yess some old guy asked me the samee question when i wasnt in school i was like"...."

americayay 0

Kind of agreeing. I mean, I get trying to be funny, but that WASN'T funny. It was just nosy. That being said, I've been through a housefire and it's just awful, so F THEIR lives.

Yep. I hate it when shop assistants try to be witty by being an arsehole, usually I just walk straight back out again =/

nordies4 0

wow so you all love the staff to be mean to you don't worry OP I feel your pain work at a store myself I always try to be super nice and joking wit customers

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

i agree. they don't have clothes to wear to school but they have clothes to wear to the grocery store? i know some people like their children to dress nicely for school, but if your house did burn down why would you care what your kids wear for one day? they need an education.

but if ur house burned down would you want to go back to school the next day? it would be a bit traumatising having all of your belongings just go up in flames

jocelyng_fml 0

they wore the same clothes they had on!

JustDerpin 11

Shut up. Most likely they were in elementary or middle school; most schools have uniforms or a dress code. -.-

Maybe they were in the pajamas they were wearing to bed the night that their house burnt down or maybe the school had uniforms. Don't assume things.

Looking at a six year old and going, "Wait, I thought college started today!" is funny. Asking, "Shouldn't they be in school?" is going to come across as nosy and/or passive-aggressive (or passive-snarky), even if you do it with a smile. YD a retort for your poor judgement, though FYL for the coincidence of the fire. @6: Their house burnt down the night before, they're going to be a little traumatized. I think they deserve the day off.

I totally agree. They deserve more than a day off. I was just pointing out that the "nothing to wear" comment is probably untrue. She should have said, "Our house burnt down last night," and left it at that.

WTF were the wearing at the store then?

Im guessing home-made leaf skirts, but wait, their house burned down..

cadillacgal79 32

Probably pajamas or the outfit they wore that day.

if you were trying to be funny....you failed. smh

F their life. Thats terrible. Plus you couldn't deserve it, because liking to make people laugh is a good thing.

fckaduck 0

How would that have been funny anyway?

I don't get it, how is "Why aren't those kids in school?" being funny?

Literally what I was about to say. OP: Time to face facts, humour is not your thiiiang.