Awkward silence

By kayin - 10/12/2010 01:59 - United Kingdom

Today, I was giving a tour for parents who wanted to send their kids to our school. One of the parents had a kid on crutches with what appeared to be a broken leg, so I asked him how he broke it. He replied, "I was born like this." FML
I agree, your life sucks 31 469
You deserved it 6 583

Same thing different taste

Top comments

alaaloo_fml_fml 0

Well there's no way you couldve known... I'm sure the kid will get over it.

Comments

paymeinhugs 2

this is absolutely not your fault. it's the fault of our society! we live in such an ableist world, so how in the world would you know how to address this situation?? we need to stop pushing individuals with disabilities out of society. for some reason we believe that disabilities need to be cured, treated, institutionalized, medicalized, hidden, or made invisible. why? individuals with disabilities are the same as anyone else! and their disabilities can actually bring richness and enlightenment to our being. asking questions is important! so thank you for not ignoring this child. your assumption that he was injured is only natural because we force individuals who are not "medically sound" out of "normal" society. you were only reacting in way in which society has conditioned you to. someday i hope that we realize that ableism is just as bad as racism or sexism or any of the other isms dehumanizing and debilitating to our culture.

Get off your high horse. You are ripping off disabled people if you think we should "just accept" them and not try to help them by treating and curing whatever may be wrong. I have a severely mentally handicapped uncle who is handicapped as a result of brain damage when he was 12. The person he was as a child is gone. My mother's family was told he would be a vegetable, unable to move, speak, or do anything other than lie there. Fortunately doctors were wrong and he can walk, feed himself, take himself to the toilet, shower himself (although my grandparents will run the water for him), he can even do things like maths sums, play certain console games (things like Wii sports), jigsaw puzzles and he loves yoyos. But he cannot speak, not because of a physical problem, but because his brain cannot communicate properly. It's not as if he has an alternative of writing or sign language because it's the brain's communication that is the problem, not his physical ability. He cannot shave himself (my grandfather has to do that), there's no way you'd trust him near an oven or stove, etc. If, by some miracle, there was a way they'd be able to undo his brain damage and bring back the person he should have been (my mother will readily admit his personality is gone), that would be amazing. He is also epileptic, which needs to be treated. Suggesting we shouldn't treat someone's problems and just "accept" them is just idiotic. You would be ripping them off and relegating them to a lower quality of life. The OP was not reacting in a way due to social conditioning. They were reacting logically. The leg looked broken, so they asked how it happened. That has nothing to do with social conditioning, that's logic. "Social conditioning" is when I see a girl with supershort hair and presume she's being treated for cancer, when in fact her hair just won't grow any longer and she's perfectly healthy.

paymeinhugs 2

no i'm not disabled. i'm a preservice special education teacher in college. i also work with individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities part time to fund the costs of college.

paymeinhugs 2

oh! i totally agree that people with disabilities should get services! they should get every service available to them! i just think that they shouldn't be ignored in our society. they should be embraced!

Services but not cures??? Typical bullshit from someone who isn't disabled. Are you really so stupid as to think that a disabled person will choose their disability over a cure if given the chance? Disabled people make people like you feel important, but learning to cope does not mean they prefer to live the way they do.

paymeinhugs 2

individuals with disabilities wouldn't have to "cope" in our society if we were more accepting. if our culture was constructed around being tolerant of all people, individuals with disabilities would not have to adjust to our ablest society. and yes. i think many people with disabilities would turn down the cure if they had the choice. have you tried asking individuals with disabilities this question? anyway i didn't mean to put myself on a high horse or give the impression that i felt like i was important because i work with individuals with disabilities. i most certainly am not more important than anyone else. i was just expressing my opinion.

russianspy1234 11

It's a common mistake, I wouldn't worry about it.

well thats how it broke, whats the big deal?

Chimi_fml 0
PinkPanther101 0

so what, I think it would be more awkward for him if no one talked about it. if he was born with it I'm sure he's used to it.

evakid1 0
Popsiclese 0

That's not that bad I'm sure he gets that all the time.

morgy8599 0

wtf? how is that YOUR FML? you had to be the nosey jerk that had to go ask the kid anyways!

some people would say it demonstrates the OP cares and is trying to be friendly. It's not nosey - it's not like they walked up to a stranger in the street and asked.

Aww OP that sucks. I don't really blame you - normally you'd assume that someone on crutches has a temporary problem, usually people with permanent disabilities would have something like a wheelchair. (Note to anyone who is going to jump on my back with all the exceptions: yes, I know there are exceptions. That's why I used words like "usually" and "normally", not "always").