Arrest them!

By chris - 14/06/2011 05:10 - United States

Today, I saw my bike locked outside a Starbucks down the street from my house. It was stolen about 10 days ago from my communal laundry room. There was even a cop parked across the street, but I have no proof to show that bike even belonged to me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 34 896
You deserved it 3 869

Same thing different taste

Top comments

sxe_beast 11

Are you sure its your bike? You do know that bikes are mass produced. If you're absolutely sure its yours then take it anyway, lol. Break the lock and run [or bike]!

I once had something stolen from me, I caught the guy and made him eat my poo and then made him eat his poo with my poo in it

Comments

Steal it back then. Get something that can cut through the chain and take that bitch back! Or you know, just buy a new one. In a crazy scheme to make money, the company probably mass produced "your" bike.

Why not wait for them to come outside and when they unlock, beat the dudes ass and run.

I had that happen to me as well, but I had reported it stolen and gave a vivid description of the bike down to some wood screws and gorilla glue I used to repair a broken pedal but I did not know the serial number. I found it two months later but the police made me leave the kid alone. Oh well, life sucks. I sympathize nonetheless.

flighted 1

what? they made you leave him alone?? he STOLE the bike. I would have said eff that, and y'all are dumbshits for even suggesting that! lucky kid steals a bike, gets found, but is allowed to keep said bike.....oh yeah from that punishment I doubt he'll ever do such a thing again.

I would have bitched a bunch then left... waited a bit, then put on a mask and stolen it, discArd mask at least 10 miles from your house

We were both students on campus, the cops wrote down both our names, and I didn't have a bolt cutter. They would have checked my apartment after I'm sure. I was screwed if I tried to steal it back. It was a costly, nice bike. You know before I made my "repairs". Oh! And he didn't steal it, it was stolen and sold to a pawn shop where he had purchased it from. They said legally it is his because he didn't steal it himself. Forgot to mention that, my bad.

Yeah, I'd like to know how OP knows for sure it's the right bike. My bike has some very distinct damage as well as some non-standard parts on it so I'd know for sure if it's mine or not.

Word. Unless OP's bike had some signifying marks (damage in specific places, etc.), it could very well just be the same make/model but a completely different bike.

why didnt op lie in wait of the thief, then smack him up

If neither party can prove ownership the goods remain with the person currently in possession of said goods. This is the case in the UK and, as far as I'm aware, most other places.

I'm sure the police report you filed was enough proof.

Not if OP doesn't have any proof he owned the bike in the first place (Receipt, record of the serial number etc) Bikes are mass produced and therefore if he can't prove that exact one is his he can't get it back. It might not even be his bike, someone else might have the same bike.

if it wasn't chained up I would have taken it

you didn't register it when you bought t? YDI