America, hell yeah brother

By Anonymous - 03/10/2012 23:00 - United States - Tallahassee

Today, my teacher's comments on my essay read, "I know it's college, but you use a lot of unnecessary words with a lot of syllables." He basically scolded me for having a complex vocabulary. I go to an accredited state university. Nothing says "America" like under-achieving professors. FML
I agree, your life sucks 28 309
You deserved it 8 336

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Paria12 2

He could have meant you just use them unnecessarily to sound smarter when they don't really make sense to use in the moment...

Comments

I bet you say "utilize" instead of just saying "use."

everton99 16

I agree with number 2. Maybe he meant you were coming off as slightly pretentious because he cares more about content, not the words you're using.

superbubbles 4

Sometimes words in a phrase like "make an attempt" just lengthens the text but doesn't add any significance to it. It's better to just use "try" or "tried".

Take your professor's advice please and use your vast and most impressive vocabulary more judiciously. :-)

He probably reads hundreds papers in a given week and one written to flaunt your knowledge of the "synonym" tool of Microsoft Word isn't going to shock him.

Your professor believes you to be pretentious. Essays should be concise. I recommend that you read the Elements of Style, by William Strunk, Jr and E.B. White.

In the real world, you have to use vocabulary at a 7th grade level when writing articles, business proposals, etc. He was just letting you know that you sound like a douche by unnecessarily using complex words.

actually, it's called purple prose, which isn't a good thing. it's boring and obnoxious to read no matter the size of your vocabulary.

i assume you were trying to be a pompous little twat, so go **** yourself.

Do you even realise how stuck up you sound or...?