America, hell yeah brother

By Anonymous - 03/10/2012 23:00 - United States - Tallahassee

Today, my teacher's comments on my essay read, "I know it's college, but you use a lot of unnecessary words with a lot of syllables." He basically scolded me for having a complex vocabulary. I go to an accredited state university. Nothing says "America" like under-achieving professors. FML
I agree, your life sucks 28 309
You deserved it 8 336

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Paria12 2

He could have meant you just use them unnecessarily to sound smarter when they don't really make sense to use in the moment...

Comments

Thanks government funded students loan that end up paying for these dumb teachers

babyshaft408 8

Dude u confused him. I bet it was USC. They only care for football

Even in college there's such thing as pompous long-windedness.

I'm a college writing tutor. A great chunk of my job involves helping students edit their papers and present their ideas in a clear, organized way. I've heard stories like this through the course of my work--always the professors' fault. And I can say from experience that working with people like you is a more obnoxious task than working with people who can't write at all. The inability to accept criticism is a brick wall that will keep your writing from improving. The usage of six point vocabulary words does not make you smarter. Sorry to burst your bubble. Wait, no I'm not.

ellytoad 13

Simplicity is everything. Having a big vocabulary loses its superficial impressiveness once you're out of grade school. Now it's just handy for understanding other, unnecessarily complicated pieces of writing.

Just because you know a lot of "big " words, doesn't mean its appropriate to use them in every essay. If it's too complicated to read then you will lose the reader's attention, thus defeating the purpose of the essay. I'm sure your teacher understood it and just didn't think other readers on your level would. Also, it's annoying to read something that makes it seem like the writer was trying way too hard. So, ydi.

the people who said ydi and the haters are mad because they arent that smart.

KiddNYC1O 20

Well, quit using your little thesaurus so much! :)

There's a difference between having a good vocabulary and being verbose.

ellytoad 13

Did it sound more flowery than this passage? "You, o slave, will hereby swear to honor our lordship in sickness and in health, and to honor his deeds with the proper respect afforded by your lowly rank and position. Take this scroll and sign it with the royal scribe's quill, not the one you keep in your chambers for correspondence. If you utilize the one you have, the ink will simultaneously flake off and smear the oath, making it unfit for storage." If so, I can probably see your professor's point...