By Anonymous - 01/01/2013 21:33 - United States - Carrollton

Today, my wife and I had a fight, which I thought we resolved. Later, while painting the kitchen, I told her to change into an old shirt she didn't care about. She made a huge show of putting her wedding gown on, veil and all. FML
I agree, your life sucks 47 233
You deserved it 6 544

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Octain 13

I don't think ruining it would be the best thing to do here... I could only imagine how she'd act after that.

Comments

That might not be the smartest thing to do, since the wife is probably still mad, she is being delusional and is just trying to offend her husband by implying she doesn't care about their wedding. But really she is just acting like a sore-loser.

No, just get the video camera out. Ask her why she put it on. Ask her if it was necessary. Tell her you need to record this so she can see herself and realize how immature and foolish she's being.

X_Codes 11

@23 - I disagree, I don't think she knew what he was doing and did it just to be a contrarian.

vencku 13

@26 That would be how to anger the wife even further. I find it fairly rude. Even if she overreacts, she does so because she is hurt. Insulting her, treating her like an idiot, hurting her more is the fast lane to divorce.

79 - If she's going to act like a child she should be treated like one

98- But the point is: that's not really going to resolve anything, is it? And that is why OP should be the better man and patch things up instead of making them worse.

Trash the dress! I volunteer my photography services.

iarefatal 9

Throw paint on it, then see if she cares or not Edit: 1 beat me to it...

BookWorm13 3

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
BookWorm13 3

Sorry I posted this to the wrong thing my bad

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

Yeah turn that small spat into permanent damage of a thousand dollar plus dress

Hmm do you really care? You know it's just the woman he married, no big deal.

Isn't it common for the man to pay for the dress and everything? I'm sure there are women who paid for their own, and some who had parents pay for some of it, but to my knowledge I thought usually the groom paid for the wedding gown, and if it isn't, I am still planning on doing that for whoever marry.

pheebs314 17

I've never heard of the groom paying for the gown... I think its supposed to be the bride's father.

The groom usually only pays for the rehearsal dinner and bouquet. And I think the Pastor.

Okay, thank you 20. I am only 19 so I'm kind of ignorant on all of the formalities of weddings. Now I know :D

SApprentice 34

But it's a wedding. The couple pays for everything together. Do people really split up and assign payments like that in real life? In modern day US? I honestly didn't think people actually did that, where the groom pays for one aspect or another, like the dress and pastor, and the bride pays for decorations and food or whatever. Everyone I've known has always worked together to tackle the wedding scenario, like a team. It seems weird to me that couples would want to handle different aspects individually like that.

No, they do. Especially in the South, where things are still, often, done traditionally. Things are not randomly assigned between the two parties, though. The Brides family has things they pay for like the actual wedding and the Grooms family has things they pay for like the Honeymoon.

WhisperSoflty 20

42 - I can back that up, as a bride in the South. It is very expected that even though my family is in the red BIG TIME and my husband-to-be's parents could take money baths they're so loaded, that my parents will foot the bill for pretty much the whole thing. The only things my future in-laws are going to pay for is the cakes, rehearsal dinner, and the honeymoon. And even the honeymoon is going to be paid for with hotel and airline points, which admittedly will be pretty rockstar status since my fiancé's father is like a diamond encrusted platinum member because he travels all the time, but still. It's ******* annoying. Especially since my fiancé is an only child, so it's not like his parents have another wedding to be saving for. /rantover

I think that you are pretty lucky to have your wedding and honeymoon paid for. I wouldn't even dream of asking anyone to pay for that. If you are worried for your family (which is stingy that your finances family aren't helping), you could reduce the price of the day. Weddings are so unnecessarily expensive

vencku 13

I agree with that. Weddings are too expensive, there should be ways to cut down on the price. On another note, you can only use that (expensive) dress once, so who cares about the paint?

Surely the families should split it equally? You can't make the bride's parents pay for everything? That is ridiculous!

I thought tradition was bride's family paid for the wedding, and the groom's family paid for the honeymoon? And seriously, there's nothing wrong with keeping with tradition; you can still be modern while doing it; of course unless one side can't pay for that, then it shouldn't be expected.

My parents paid for everything themselves for their wedding and were able to make it really cheap. Instead of hiring caterers, they had a big potluck, their musical friends were the wedding band, and they were in a park instead of a church or something. And if you love to bake, you could make your own wedding cake, which can be several hundred to a thousand dollars.

Well, in ancient times from which our current rituals descend, a dowry was to be paid by the wife's family to the man because the man brought more to the table and the woman alone was not enough of a liability. Nowadays, rather than paying "x" amount of money, the bride's family just funds the wedding. While on the topic of wedding traditions, did you know that the carrying of the wife across the new threshold dates back to a rape story? Weddings are quite the odd things indeed!

There are ways to find cheaper dresses..I got my wedding dress from a vintage store for $26 because the hem was damaged (and easily fixed). And it's gorgeous.

Just act like nothing's wrong and paint the kitchen

Octain 13

I don't think ruining it would be the best thing to do here... I could only imagine how she'd act after that.

redhedsaysrawr 18

No, I can't! I want pronounce my "R's", ok?! Leave me alone!!!

missL1z 5

I bet it is gonna be one of those things both of you will laugh about down the years.

Perhaps you should go put on your tux, if you still have it that is. Maybe it's just me but that fight seems far from over, batten down the hatches your in for quite a storm.

Paint and a wedding dress...that sounds like the perfect material for a terrible joke.

SApprentice 34

Very immature, but at least it's creative. When she was putting on her big show of dressing in the gown, I hope you were just staring stoically at her. When she was finished, you should have met her eyes briefly, then gone back to painting. People who behave like that hate it when they don't get a big reaction.

This is definitely true! If you reward childish behaviour with a reaction (negative or not), you're basically setting yourself up for more of it. And that sounds like a fair bit of manipulative bullshit, something that I have no patience for whatsoever. Passive-aggressive games do not make for a good relationship. =/