By I'm so sorry... - 01/03/2017 16:00

Today, a coworker left a chocolate cake on the "free food" table in the office. I had a slice. She's just called to ask if she left her grandmother's birthday cake at work. She made it from scratch. Now I'm baking a new cake in the office kitchen. FML
I agree, your life sucks 7 674
You deserved it 1 526

Same thing different taste

Top comments

neuronerd 28

Had anyone else eaten a slice yet? While it was in the "free food" section, I'm always hesitant to take the first piece of something, unless the person who brought it is directly offering. If other people had eaten it first, it's not solely your fault, and you'd be under no obligation to replace it (though that is kind of you). Truly, putting it there in the first place was her fault, so you're still under no obligation.

I would assume the cake had no writing on it. Just imagine eating cake alone that says happy birthday Grandma!

Comments

I would assume the cake had no writing on it. Just imagine eating cake alone that says happy birthday Grandma!

No writing present, just 84 candles the OP thought were normal and set aside.

OP, you are a good hearted person to want to correct that. But I doubt that your employer pays you to bake replacement birthday cakes. You may wind up in trouble with your boss over this. Your coworker was an idiot if she left unattended a cake on the table used for shared treats and didn't expect it to get shared. Nowhere in OP's FML did she say the cake had "Happy Birthday" on it or candles, so I assume it did not have any signs of being a birthday cake.

neuronerd 28

Had anyone else eaten a slice yet? While it was in the "free food" section, I'm always hesitant to take the first piece of something, unless the person who brought it is directly offering. If other people had eaten it first, it's not solely your fault, and you'd be under no obligation to replace it (though that is kind of you). Truly, putting it there in the first place was her fault, so you're still under no obligation.

EnvyMe33 26

Why would she bring the cake to work unless it was for everyone to eat?

zeffra13 31

She was probably going straight to her grandmother's after work and didn't want the frosting to melt in the car.

Dummy! You don't have to bake a whole new cake -- you just have to bake one slice! Even better would be to insert a wedge of styrofoam and cover it with frosting.

That image sounds like something straight out of a cartoon.

Why would she take her cake to work? Especially leave it on the table known as the free food table.

TheyCallMeDamien 17

I would've just told them somebody ate a slice of it and left it at that. But offer to bring them the cake.

Unless someone had found the cake in a different spot beforehand and moved it to the free food table, this one is entirely on her...