By speaknoevil1 - 29/01/2016 06:03 - United States - Gainesville

Today, I got call from the manager for a company I applied for. Turns out, he mixed up my friend's phone number with mine, since we applied on the same day, so the manager accidentally hired her instead of me. He said the position is still mine if I want it, but they will have to let her go. FML
I agree, your life sucks 24 765
You deserved it 1 645

speaknoevil1 tells us more.

Hey guys! OP here. So let me explain what happened a little more. My friend and I are studying the same thing and the job is related to our field. I told her that I was applying there because I thought she would do the same thing if she would've found out about the opportunity. She only likes to take initiative when she thinks I'm going to be doing something that furthers my career and takes it like a competition. Anyway, she applied almost immediately after i told her and got an interview on the same day as I did. The mix up was due to a new intern mixing up our resumes since we came in at about the same time and we have similar backgrounds. The manager called and said he would handle it if I wanted to and I was about to say yes (because I was agitated on how unfair it was) and something stopped me. I didn't want to lose a friend over a job and she is quite grudgeful so I don't need that in my life. As fate would have it, I was offered an even better paid internship in Europe working along really great people and I couldn't be happier. Wow this is long but, anyway, thanks for everyone's advice!

Top comments

It sucks, but you deserve that position

Ouch.. Maybe talk to your friend about it first? If they have another position lined up maybe you could keep it. Either way, good luck OP!

Comments

Railroader 16

#19 i've always thought that there should be a button for pointing out that there's a button for this.

DirtySalamander 9

what do people use #'s and not the name when replying to someone??

It sucks, but you deserve that position

At the potential cost of a friendship? The OP has an incredibly hard decision to make. I don't envy her.

If the friend is a true friend, they would be happy for OP. It wasn't OP's fault that the company made a mistake. No reason to let it taint the friendship.

In an ideal world, the friend would be happy. In the real world, the friend would throw a tantrum and accuse OP of stealing her job.

Let's be real. They're gonna let OP's friend go no matter what. Better to take the position instead of both going back to job hunting

I'd ask if they'd be willing to hire both of them at half the hours.

I guess good friends are hard to come by, huh? If it were me, I would still support my friend. Why blame them? They can't control who gets hired.

This is an entirely weird situation from my perspective. Do they not verify the identities of people they hire before they hire them? Did they just call OP's friend, say, "You're hired," and hang up without getting a response? I sincerely have never heard of this. But yes ... if OP is the most qualified candidate, they should be hiring her, unless there is nepotism, which doesn't seem likely in this case.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

It actually kind of makes sense that they can't hire both.

Ouch.. Maybe talk to your friend about it first? If they have another position lined up maybe you could keep it. Either way, good luck OP!

Why did anyone dislike your comment? maybe they did it on accident.

MyrmidonQueenn01 9

Your friend orginally did not want it, you did. If she's a true friend, she will understand OP

How do you know the friend didn't want it? Clearly she wanted it if she went through the entire hiring process

well I mean..the friend did fill out an application..

I'm sorry where did it say that the friend didn't want it?

MyrmidonQueenn01 9

first off I never stated she didn't want it, I said she ORIGINALLY DID not want it. bc I skipped over the sentence where it said applied on SAME day. yes I can read, just misunderstood calm downn

So #5 you never said she "didn't" want it you just said she "did not" want it? Thanks for clearing up how you got that info from this FML.

koganti 18

let your friend know what was actually happened and take the job :)

I would maybe talk to your friend about the situation and see what you two wanna do

I'd say go ahead and take the position It's yours rightfully But I would help your friend find a new job

I agree. I think it's likely they won't keep the friend on anyway as they never meant to hire her.

Would saying YDI here also be saying op deserved the position?

I was going to comment, how could anyone possibly YDI this one. Now I understand!

You aren't at fault; the company ****** up. Congrats on the job. Sorry about your pal.