You'll get the hang of it

By meganisabella - This FML is from back in 2012 but it's good stuff - United States

Today, I went driving for the first time. I made it twenty miles to my stepmom's house, and didn't stop until I was inside the garage. Too bad the garage door was closed when I got there. FML
I agree, your life sucks 18 848
You deserved it 17 981

Top comments

perdix 29

Usually, the first lesson in Driver's Ed is operating the brakes. So much for home-schooling!

Comments

b0ngs 7

Next time, you might want to use the breaks. Garage doors are really expensive to replace.

16, yeah but no pity since it was OP's fault.

KiddNYC1O 20

49- I guess people rather break than brake....

b0ngs 7

Ohmigosh:/ i didnt even realise I spelt that wrong:0 thanks though!

TheDrifter 23

Please, everyone, the things that stop the car are brakes. Breaks are what the op made in the garage door. This has been an infomercial from grammar nazi radio, thank you for your time.

Ardos 3

Have someone who has experience drive with you next time.

If it was the first time you drove, why were you alone in the car? :/

ssnowywinter 0

I'd bet they weren't actually alone, but you know, OP was kinda the one driving, giving him the control of the car. Crazy.

That is crazy.. Usually you would assume if there was an experienced driver in the car with them, said driver would pull up the handbrake if need be.

isis_morrigan 18

I'm not an expert with cars, but I'm pretty sure if you pull the handbrake while still on the gas, it can screw up the car, which is a lot more expensive than a garage door. I could be wrong though.

dmmcintyre3 8

57: It could be a car without a handbreak lever that the passenger can reach.

As far as I know it doesn't. When I was learning how to drive I had the handbrake pulled up on me and it did nothing to the car

hateevryone 14

and you didn't hit the brakes, why?

39- how do you know? OP must have seen the door and hit the wrong thing or just freaked out and didnt know what to do.

desireev 17

39- Why have you made umpteen-thousand comments about OP not seeing the garage door? As I previously explained, there is no way possible that OP didn't see the door. It's huge! And it's at OPs stepmothers house! A place that OP has probably been to many times before. OP knew the garage door was there. OP saw the garage door! Like the commenter above me said, OP probably freaked out and hit the gas pedal thinking it was the brake pedal. That is the most logical explanation for it! Like I said, there's no way in hell that OP didn't see the garage door! Use your noggin'!

zebralover23 14

It's not your fault you didn't know how to stop.

perdix 29

I beg to differ. It is your fault that you don't know how to stop. Wait until the OP sees her next insurance bill -- she'll see how many dollars of fault she brought on herself with her door busting maneuver.