Welcome home

By sammsamm56 - 16/01/2011 19:27 - United States

Today, I found out that my overprotective brother is going to move in with me when he gets out of jail. My chances of ever being in a relationship are now next to zero. FML
I agree, your life sucks 34 400
You deserved it 4 656

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Since when does your brother decide that your house is available for him? Isn't it the owner of the house who decides who moves in, hmm? Just say no.

You "found out"? Have you no say in who moves in with you?

Comments

It's your house, so therefore you're the one who sets the rules. Make sure he understands that, and if he can't deal with it, he has to find somewhere else.

no one said op was legally an adult, maybe she's around 14-16 and her parents wanted to let her brother live with them until he got back on his feet?

Yeah, I don't think the OP would let her brother move in if she was on her own. She probably still lives with her parents. But if not, she needs to realize that she has the final say when it comes to who lives with her.

This is true, however it was the fact that the OP said 'ever', which implied that this would be a permanent thing if he moved in. If she still lived with her parents then she'd move out at some point and this would solve the problem. Also, if she still lives with her parents, surely this was half to be expected? As that would be a first point of call for someone who needs to get back on their feet.

Mabster84 2

You found out? Tell your brother to find a place of his own. You didn't tell him he could live there, and if you're paying the rent/mortgage, it's no one else's choice but yours. I really dislike it when parents/siblings tell you that it's your responsibility to take someone in just because they're family. You sound entirely too bulldozed on the issue. If you don't want him there, don't take him. He's not a pet, mind you, he's a grown man, tell him to use the balls between his own legs and get himself a job and a place of his own. Or perhaps you'll need a pair of your own?

UpsidedownKayak 9

What were your chances of being in a relationship before your brother got out of jail? This sound like another excuse for your lonely life. Do you live with your parents? Who decides whom lives with you? If it is your place then make some decisions for yourself.

UpsidedownKayak 9

Correction: Whom decides who lives with you?

I give you points for trying to use "whom." Unfortunately, you lose them all for using it incorrectly. To top it off, you lost more by incorrectly correcting yourself.

UpsidedownKayak 9

I should have stuck with the FML rule never admit when you are wrong. Nor try and use a word that the rules for correct use have, for the most part, been lost. Boopity, can you explain the correct use of "whom"?

I don't want to take up comment space. PM pending.

Over protective? Is that why you think you can't date? Tell him to f off if he's going to be trouble don't let him push you around just because he's family/a criminal..

I agree with #6. Your house your rules. He sounds like a scary ******* dude.

If you're an adult with your own residence, YDI because you don't have to allow him to live with you. If you're a minor who doesn't have a choice, then FYL. If you're an adult living with your parents, YDI and it's time to start looking for an apartment.

If you're old enough to live alone, then you're old enough to decide if you want to date or not. Your sex life should be for you to control, not your brother. Tell him off.

0opsie 6

Does him being over-protective about your boyfriends have anything to do with the fact that he was in prison, by any chance?