Vibe check

By buttfingers - 26/12/2015 17:37 - United States - Houston

Today, I accidentally edged over the speed limit and got pulled over. The officer asked me if I knew why he'd pulled me over. Before I could say something diplomatic, my dad said from the passenger seat, "Because you're a prick in fancy dress?" I got ticketed. FML
I agree, your life sucks 24 147
You deserved it 2 240

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I have never understood why the driver gets ticketed for the idiocy of their passengers even when the driver is trying to be cooperative.

Comments

Doesn't make a difference bro you were going to get the ticket either way at least your dad got to say his peace sorry OP

To be fair one mile over the speed limit is breaking the law. Granite it is kinda dumb but at the same time it's still breaking the law. And in your case you said edged over so that gives me reason to believe it was a greater margin than one mile per hour over.

Oh shit haha spell check changed it and I didn't check it. So yes haha it is set in stone.

I don't know ANY cop who will pull you over for "inching" over the limit. Most cops give 5-7 over.

Yep. The few cops I know say that they'll let it slide up to 10% of the speed limit just because they don't want the hassle of writing a ticket.

It depends on the officer and the location. Speed zones near schools are more strictly enforced.

Rosebudx 32

You have clearly never been in a small town when they need money. The next town over from me is so notorious for picking up people for 1 or 2 over that driving school instructors in a 5-county area warned new drivers about it.

I can understand ticketing someone for speeding but if the officer only gave you the ticket because of your father then that's not fair. However you were speeding, accident or not, so having your dad pay for it doesn't seem like a logical option.

harleyivy 7

it's logical because there's a chance the officer would have gave OP just a warning, but their dad messed that chance up by insulting the officer.

Sorry #29, I disagree. In the US, the cops pretty much have absolute power. They can ticket, harass, even kill with no consequences. Not saying that's the way it SHOULD be, but the way it is. And no, I'm not Black or Hispanic.

Stop with the FTP attitude. Cops do not have absolute power, and they cannot harrass, or kill. Anyone in the US can give a ticket. The media just reports what makes people watch their programming. and yes I am Hispanic (that also doesn't matter but you felt the need to bring it up)

Thank you so freaking much. I can't stand why people think cops rule the world. Some are bad yes. But not all. Just like citizens and criminals

Sorry but I do have to agree with u. I have personally witnessed police brutality and have heard several stories about it. There are some good cops out there but not many. I have some friends who are cops and they have even stated that when they actually do their job, don't hand out wrongful tickets, don't lie or cheat and don't help dirty cops they will either get fired or they will never move up. It is the truth, many are just too blind to see it. Sorry for being real, but that is just how it is. It is so sad so many people don't understand this and I will probably get many dislikes for this. I'm not saying all cops are dirty but many of them are!

actually it is opposite of what you said. I know several cops and there is not many bad ones. people just blindly believe mainstream media, and Internet lies. cops are not bad it is the person in the position.

It sucks that your dad said that, but if the ticket was for speeding then it's up to you to pay it, since you admit to going over the speed limit. Even if your dad hadn't been there, chances are you still would have received the ticket.

If u are cooperative, polite, and show that u know u made a mistake u can sometimes get out of the ticket. Cops deal with jerks all day so sometimes they will give u a break if aren't being a jerk to them and actually making there job easy.

I agree with that to a point, but it really depends on how much the OP "edged" over the speed limit. If it was 2 or 3 km/h, then the cop most likely would have let it go if the father didn't say anything. If it was 7 km/h or more, then I think a ticket would have been issued regardless.

moocowmilk0 19