Toxic workplace

By Anonymous - 19/04/2021 01:00 - United States - Cabot

Today, I quit my job because I wasn't given the time or space to pump for my newborn child. I went back to work 4 weeks postpartum, and they suggested I pump in the bathroom, my car or the freezer. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 100
You deserved it 223

Same thing different taste

Top comments

ojoRojo 27

I feel like you could probably sue them for that

Unfortunately, the United States is the only developed country in the world to not offer state-mandated paid maternity leave. You can take unpaid leave, but when you combine that with the high cost of our private healthcare system, unpaid leave is often unaffordable to many new mothers who just dropped several thousand dollars on birth in a hospital. One of our many "features."

Comments

Don't you have maternity leave there? Ours here is 2 years.

Unfortunately, the United States is the only developed country in the world to not offer state-mandated paid maternity leave. You can take unpaid leave, but when you combine that with the high cost of our private healthcare system, unpaid leave is often unaffordable to many new mothers who just dropped several thousand dollars on birth in a hospital. One of our many "features."

Our maternity leave doesn't guarantee the young mother to keep her job position. But her place is reserved for a while.

America the average is 6 weeks, depending on the Job. waitstaff and fast food may get a week up to six. Usually not paid. However I think that employers must provide a space for pumping.

good old merca, saving on taxes and getting shafted everywhere else

ojoRojo 27

I feel like you could probably sue them for that

SilverRaven77 9

For what? There no law stating they need to support that or accommodate her.

Apparently in the US, workplaces are required to provide an acceptable space if they have 50 or more employees. Some states are stricter. Not sure where OP works though.

wysegirl 24

view the maternity laws for your location. I know there are none where I am at but hopefully you have some.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
slhiggx 17

You are another level of rude.

Ambrily 27

Excuse me, are you a woman? Because your name seems masculine to me, but I could definitely be wrong, so I prefer to ask. Either way, you're incredibly rude.

its a law "Frequently Asked Questions – Break Time for Nursing Mothers | U.S. Department of Labor" https://www.dol.gov/agencies/whd/nursing-mothers/faq#:~:text=What%20must%20an%20employer%20provide,birth%20of%20the%20employee's%20child.

wysegirl 24

sure you go eat your food in the bathroom. while your at it cover your head with a blanket to eat. pumping doesn't come easy for all women for 1 and you need a clean room to be providing for your child. you have no respect and need to do some research.

bri0709 5

Where do you live? This illegal some places and you may need an attorney...government agencies would take care of it depending on where.

I'm not really sure what you are expecting them to do? as someone says can't really expect them to build an office for you it must be really tough going back so soon anyways keep up that good boobing mommy

your work really said "imma make you pump like that" sometimes life is like mafia city ads, that's just how it be