Unionize

By blah! - 13/12/2020 14:01

Today, I found out I'm pregnant, after quitting my job because they asked us to work for free due to COVID. So because I quit, I'm no longer eligible for maternity leave. I didn’t know that I was 4 months pregnant. I could've just gotten a doctor's note for medical reasons. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 016
You deserved it 461

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I have to be honest, any company that asks you to work for free in a pandemic was likely going to do what they could to get out of paying you maternity leave...

Never quit a job unless you have another lined up. Always make them fire you.

Comments

I have to be honest, any company that asks you to work for free in a pandemic was likely going to do what they could to get out of paying you maternity leave...

You're not getting maternity leave at 4 months pregnant, you get leave after the baby is born. OP wanted medical paperwork being pregnant still, and unless the job is specifically harmful to an unborn child, it would have done nothing?

Never quit a job unless you have another lined up. Always make them fire you.

sarahcroy20 12

They asked you to work for free? That sounds odd.

uniformed 13

damn...so sad that you can't take advantage of the situation now. not.

US and Canada. It's illegal to work and not be paid. Your company can request to work for free all they want, still illegal and you can get back pay. But a company asking this without doing the proper thing first (Paycuts to management/layoffs) means it was extremely likely they were riding out the ends of their business and trying to squeeze every last wage for free (They wont, they'll be sued by anyone who makes a complaint for lost wages) What someone else said, never quit, get fired. Collect the unemployment, report to the labor board. All the people who chose to work for free still in hopes for a job in the future are guaranteed going to be let go with no backpay for the weeks they put into it. But also, being 4 months pregnant, I'm not sure what kind of medical note you could have gotten that would give you "medical leave" from a job unless it was chemicals or extreme labor that's over 50+ lbs constantly.