By Anonymous - 02/05/2016 21:42 - United States - Danville

Today, working night shift at a nursing home, I can tell the difference between the smell of different people's urine. FML
I agree, your life sucks 13 826
You deserved it 941

Same thing different taste

Top comments

If you're not okay with that, urine the wrong business.

Someone has to help them right? Look at the bright side, you get to take care of the elderly and ensure their safety!

Comments

I work at a hospital and just today one of CNAs was telling me she could tell by smell if there was a UTI

I've done that. I used to work in a group home for developmentally disabled ladies, and one of them was really susceptible to UTIs so I learned to recognize the odor. Even dx'd myself a couple times, before any other symptoms happened.

The smell of urine can change in the presence of certain illnesses. If you can learn to identify those illnesses by smell, imagine the possibilities!!

Shalnar 6

Thank you for doing such a thankless job. For my family and the families you help, thanks for discovering new, not so wonderful, talents and continuing on.

I work in a nursing home too, as a chef though. I can tell who someone is by their diet, likes, dislikes, and order changes

That's the sign that you should look for another job.

I work at an assisted living doing graveyards and I can sympathize. I can tell who gets up by the sound of their footsteps. I know who had an accident on the bathroom floor by the scent and size of the puddle. Don't get me wrong though, I love my job and the people I work with.

I can totally relate to this dear, don't worry - Madness is completely acceptable in this line of work!

To be fair, urine smell and coloration can tell you a lot about a patient's health. It's one of the most prominent ways the body detoxes itself, so things can show up in it sometimes weeks before other symptoms. So while it is unpleasant, at least it is something that could be useful in the long term for your career.

Some people have to go on Craigslist for that kind of experience.