By Bishop423 - 22/07/2015 04:21 - United States - San Francisco

Spicy
Today, while working security at my job, for the second time, a man with Down's Syndrome entered the store, went to one of the demo computers, opened YouTube, pulled up a video of oiled women wrestling and jerked off. There is no protocol in the handbook for how to deal with this scenario. FML
I agree, your life sucks 35 965
You deserved it 2 521

Bishop423 tells us more.

Bishop423 14

OP here. Yes it was the same guy both times. The reason why I didn't call the police is because he didn't actually expose himself. He clearly knew that he was doing something wrong because he checked to see if we were watching. I asked two different managers what to do, and both failed to provide a satisfactory answer so I was left to my own devices. The first time I caught him I told him he wasn't allowed to do that. The second time I actually closed the browser and told him that this was the last time this was gonna happen.

Top comments

Do the same thing as you would to anyone else, just explain that he can't do that and it's not allowed.

Don't be a **** block. He'll leave when he's done

Comments

Wait you are saiyan this had happened before?!

So you've witnessed this twice and just watched... Says a lot about you .-.

Read the follow up and don't just assume. Your comment says more about you than the OP.

tell him to get the **** out. that's indecent exposure

He has Downs, he's not stupid, and should not be treated as a complete invalid. Something should have been said to him, and then the police called if he didn't get the picture. People are always screaming for equality for people with special needs. Treat him as any other sex offender. One simply can't cry out for equality then demand special treatment at the same time. Sorry.

While he may not be an invalid, it is incredibly difficult to press charges on those with disability due to their low IQ. They may not have the capacity to understand and aid in their own defense. One of my girls (I supervise a dd group home) steals. We run into the same problem.

I'm autistic and work in disability rights advocacy. My biggest concern about how this situation may be handled if it happens again is about inappropriately connecting his disability (Down's syndrome) to his behavior. If it's not appropriate for anyone to go in the store and watch **** and jerk off, it's not appropriate for him. The issue isn't either that he's too "fragile" or "emotionally immature" to have the problem addressed more firmly, or that he is expressing sexuality while having a disability, but that he's doing something that wouldn't be considered okay for anyone else to do. So I think you (OP) handled the situation fine. Hold him to the same standards as any other customer, and be aware of potential communication barriers when communicating with him. (There is a difference between equality and fairness -- if the only entrance to your store is stairs, you can say that it's equal, i.e. the same for everyone, but it's not fair or equitable. Fairness is making sure people have equal *opportunity* to get into the store, so having stairs *and* a ramp.)

you could always help him out if you don't mind your husband finding out. yes I know you're a dude

Sounds like you handled it well, OP (after reading your reply). I would have lost my shit, but I won't go into reasons why. But as someone said, it's not okay for anyone to do that, even someone without a disability, so that applies to this person as well. And he was fully aware of what he was doing, based on what you said, so yes, kick him out. It's also possible to block websites, but that wouldn't make it fair for other people in the vicinity. If you've told him twice to stop and not come back, and he still does, that might be reason enough to call the police. Put a persona non grata on him if you have to. Also, even if he didn't expose himself, there could still be charges of lewd and lascivious behavior rather than indecent exposure.

Just call the police and let them handle it. Public indecency, its against the law.