By Nate - 06/03/2009 03:25 - United States

Today, we watched a movie in class. Afterwards, the professor asked us what we thought. I raised my hand and said it was pretentious, dull and a really poor example of filmmaking. It was the movie HE spent five years writing and directing. FML
I agree, your life sucks 27 553
You deserved it 52 648

Same thing different taste

Top comments

yikesO_O 0

Hey, you spoke the truth. People can't be babied all their lives anyways.

Exactly. If the professor is opening the movie to critique, he better suck it up and deal with it.

Comments

You could really have it put in a nicer way.

hahaha that is why I HATE when teachers show their own work or assign books THEY wrote for the class...that's happened in a lot of my classes and I feel you can't really debate because you know he wrote it and people are scared to speak up !! damn teachers lol :)

its his fault, he asked for opinions. don't ask unless you can take negative reviews.

hahah... granted i don't know the professor and it can vary a lot on an individual basis, but... as for saying FHL, i think it's fair to say he doesn't give a damn. he might still try to make your grades suffer if he can, if he's a particularly bitchy professor, but... they're professors. even when they ask for your opinion, they're usually fairly arrogant about things and if they don't like what you have to say, chances are good they will brush it off as another naive, idiot student's opinion, and continue strutting around the university like they think they are gods. if you got lucky, this one will be mature and even if they don't like how you phrased your critique, they won't hold it against you that you have an opinion. but i seriously doubt that the poor professor is going to run crying home to mommy because some student dissed their film.

Why is it supposed to be YDI for many users, because you were sincere and critical instead of patting his back? That has to suck for him too, having spend five years on it etc. Then again, he asked for your opinion and if he's confident about his movie, that shouldn't affect him very much.

The movie didn't have the credits rolling in which the teacher's name was shown? Anyways, at least you were being honest.

I bet you're learning a lot of great techniques from him!

blinkingstarlet 15

not everyone is going to love his work. i think all the "your grades are skrewed!!" comments are wrong. i think he will respect you for telling ur honest opinion to him. unless u backed down when he said "by the way this is my work"... because if u backed down he probably wont have much respect.

I think it's a YDI because of the lack of diplomacy. It's one thing to speak your mind, but he could have said the same thing with diplomacy. I think there's probably another good lesson there, you're in a film class. You may have no idea of the blood, sweat and tears that go into a production (even shitty ones). That guy is a professor and spent FIVE YEARS of his life (and probably a lot of his personal money) making something you cavalierly dismissed. If you're a film critic with chops, you MAY have earned the right to have that opinion. Otherwise it can sound very ignorant. FWIW, I'm not trying to bust his balls. The prof. will prolly do that ALL year. LOL

raithex 0

Hey. You want to get a classier picture? Not everyone wants to see you in your underwear.

missymay993 11

Everyone has the right to have an opinion, you don't earn that, you just have it. Also, put some clothes on, sweetie.