By browneyedgirlx3 - 08/08/2016 03:19 - Australia - Pyrmont

Today, the owner of the restaurant I work at texted me to let me know the manager does not want me to come in anymore. Why? I'm the most praised of the staff by the customers and they love me, which makes the manager look bad. The owner hired me solely for customer service in the first place. FML
I agree, your life sucks 15 184
You deserved it 875

browneyedgirlx3 tells us more.

Hi guys, OP here. Just going to give a bit more detail: the restaurant is Chinese, owned and employed by 99% Chinese. Their culture is entirely foreign to me, and while I did my best to understand it, I've come away from this with the thought process that they are just extremely condescending to anyone who is not Chinese/Asian. The owner hired me specifically to be able to communicate with "Western" customers, as while the staff could speak English, it is not the native language of any of them, and they could not joke and chat with customers the way I could; they were looking specifically for someone of "Western" culture (their words). There were multiple customers who: A) quickly became regulars, despite the restaurant having only just opened, and; B) praised me to many members of the staff, including the manager. The first time I heard a customer tell the manager how good my service was, his response was literally an emotionless: "All staff is good." There were many customers who were disgusted with his treatment of them, and while I tried to defend his actions (and I saved the restaurant losing least one customer [who ended up having a nearly $400 bill] by doing this) by explaining his English was so poor that he did not like to keep conversation going too long, I now think he really is just a grumpy old Chinese man. Now, someone hit the nail on the head by suggesting the owner is inexperienced: this is his first restaurant. The manager has 40 years of restaurant knowledge. I have 6, and so while I understand I may be a bit behind in experience, it doesn't take a brainiac to know how to treat people with common curtesy and respect. This manager is extremely short with customers, barely looks them in the eye, and makes them feel very rushed in everything from ordering to being seated to leaving. He also left me stranded at the restaurant late at night when the busses had stopped running, and if it weren't for the kindness of one of the older waitresses, I honestly don't know how I would have gotten home. I had been thinking of leaving for a new job after that was done anyway, because I could not work with people who are so disrespectful and disregarding of others like that. That was the night I got the text message (last night), so obviously the decision was made for me, but I still think it's so shit how everything turned out. In terms of my job description, I did absolutely everything right (and did everything to alleviate the workload of others). It's just that no matter how much I tried, I just could not connect with any of the Chinese staff, and I think that's what inevitably led to my dismissal. Which, again, I think is shit, because the owner was specifically looking for a "Western" assistant manager (which they didn't give me; they advertised and I accepted the role of assistant manager, but I actually ended up being no more than a waitress/hostess, with the added responsibility of opening in the morning). If it was going to be such an issue with the Chinese staff, they should have never brought a "Western" in in the first place.

Top comments

ApparentlyNotEno 28

I think a quick Yelp review could be in order here. 'Sorry everyone, they fired me for being too friendly!'

That's really messed up. Just because the manager can't beat you when it comes to how many people like you doesn't mean that he gets to fire you because it makes him "look bad". That's immature and really unfair.

Comments

Owner: "Sorry OP, you're just too good and well-loved by everyone. Don't come back." OP: "How about I just take the manager position, that way you have a great worker running the place that all of your customers rave about?" Owner: "Touché"

Unfortunately, there's too much politics in place for OP to get the mangers position. It's generally the case.

Speak to the owner, op. The manager should probably be fired, not you.

I agree with #6. I wouldn't worry too much about it. The manager was on your side so he will probably make an excellent reference and the only problem was you didn't fit into the culture. Which ironically was by design. Good luck in your next place which I am sure you will find very soon.

Something like that it's best to walk away from & a quick thank you for the experience. Too many people love to use you for your talents but can't handle when you get the commendation you should.

da_epic_failman 7

The manager is dead wrong. Having a good staff member always reflects good on your public image. If anything, you're better off without him, because HE made YOU look bad.

sorry op I get that, being Chinese and very familiar with how customer service is as Chinese restaurants (ones in the West usually, the ones in China usually have amazing customer service) ppl who open Chinese restaursnts in the West usually don't care as much since they cant relate either way and as long as money keeps rolling in (which the other Chinese patrons would provide). but what I cant understand is why the owner would listen to the manager unless they know each other well and the manager is the only one he has with actual experience...who knows either way Chinese restaurants run here as usually crap customer service and shit employmee trestment unless they've adopted western culture

Again, the manager has 40 years of experience and this is the owner's first restaurant. On top of that, the owner shared with me that the isolation I felt is what he experiences too. He may be Chinese and can actually communicate with them, but they've all been working together for a year (the restaurant has another location), so he's the newbie and they're quite cold to him; the manager once even disregarded the owner in front of me, screwing up his face and basically brushing him off as new and inexperienced, therefore his opinion meant nothing. The manager is exactly what you described: doesn't care in regards to customer service, does not attempt to connect with staff he doesn't already know, and is only concerned with the money coming in.

talk to the owner, that isnt legal, thatd be unlawlful termination.

ever heard of fairwork? go complain.

You could definitely report an unfair dismissal claim to Fairwork Ombudsman because that is not legal. "Making your manager look bad because you were too good" is certainly not a valid reason to fire someone.

Actually FWO handles breaches of the Fair Work Act regarding wages, breaks etc - the Fair Work Commission is what handles dismissal claims. From OP's follow up comment it definitely sounds as though she may have a claim, if she acts quickly enough.

As has been mentioned previously, you may have a case for unlawful dismissal. You may also have a case for discrimination - you can point to the initial advert as proof of their discrimination.