By smokedetector - 01/11/2009 02:20 - United States

Today, the fire alarm went off in my dorm and I saw and smelled smoke coming under my door. My second story window wouldn't unlock so I broke it open, threw out as many of my belongings as I could, and jumped. Turns out, the smell and noise were from my roomates cheap vacuum cleaner, not a fire. FML
I agree, your life sucks 18 534
You deserved it 25 779

smokedetector tells us more.

i got in a car accident the night before, which is why i was at home on halloween. i broke my wrist, my big toe, and my brand new 3gs iphone. then, i found out my boyfriend was cheating on me. im back in the hospital, suffering from severe back injuries and a broken heart but guess what?? all that wouldnt fit in my fml post, so i kept it as simple as i could.

Top comments

cxal_fml 0

Seeing and smelling smoke is not a reason to jump from the second floor. You should remain near the floor with the door closed until the firemen arrive. If they don't arrive, and the fire is in your room, then its okay to jump. Before then, its just stupid

Comments

i got in a car accident the night before, which is why i was at home on halloween. i broke my wrist, my big toe, and my brand new 3gs iphone. then, i found out my boyfriend was cheating on me. im back in the hospital, suffering from severe back injuries and a broken heart but guess what?? all that wouldnt fit in my fml post, so i kept it as simple as i could.

Navani 0

Aww =( I'm sorry, my life sucks too. Never broke a bone but uggh. And I'm 100% with you, once I was in a hotel and the alarm went off, I woke up the people I was with and we all ran downstairs with a few belongings in pajamas only to find out it was a test alarm and they forgot to tell us. But it felt good knowing we were prepared. ..it also happened at my job lol a hot dog burned upstairs and set the alarm off, wheeled the three kids i had and ran outside. But anyway.. You should post your bf's number online for everyone to play with.

So your boyfriend is cheating on you and you were in a car accident in which you were physically injured, but somehow those were not serious enough to be the focus of your FML, and you instead opted to post about a misinterpreted vacuum cleaner? Wow.

ohJeeznotme 7

So if you are in the hospital and you broke your precious phone, then how are you still on FML? Shouldn't you be trying to recouperate or something, not worrying about people on the internets?

girlygirl666 0

Ok. So you got called out as a self-centered, materialistic bitch, and now you're going to try to go for sympathy? Oh poor you! You broke your iPhone, boo-hoo! You're now back in the hospital with back injuries and a broken heart? Awww. Maybe your boyfriend cheated on you because he figured out what an ass you are. The fact that you would just think of saving your own skin, without a thought to anyone else shows what kind of person you are. I hope everyone is laughing at you for looking like a little fool. It would be funny if your boyfriend was cheating with one of the very roomates you chose not to even warn in your imaginary fire.

#36 are you telling me you would run into a room you thought was on fire to possibly save people you don't even know? It's easy to call people selfish when you aren't the one in a life or death situation, or what you thought was a life or death situation. In that kind of situation everyone needs to save themselves first and try to help other people if possible once safe, unless there are like small children involved.

agree with #40. BUT seriously I think something is wrong. Here is basically what you said happened OP: "On Fri. night I got into a car accident and was forced to stay home on Halloween. Then on Halloween night I was in my dorm when I smelled smoke and saw smoke coming from underneath the door. I broke my second floor window trying to open it to jump out of it. I grabbed as much stuff as I could and threw it out the window breaking my new 3g iPhone. Then I jumped and ended up breaking my wrist and big toe. I learn that the smoke was only my roommate's cheap vacuum. I'm in the hospital only to find that my boyfriend cheated on me. And of course I go onto fml to type this with my BROKEN wrist." THATS THE BIGGEST LOAD OF BULLSHIT EVER. FAKE! (or at least part of it is.)

No, fudrick. She and everyone else is saying the OP is a selfish bitch because she saved her possessions first and then herself. It wouldn't have looked half as bad if the OP had left her crap behind and just jumped. Though she really should have at least yelled to warn her roommates or something. ...That's if this isn't all a load of bullshit.

No, Witchcraft, she was saying the OP is a bad person because she only saved herself and didn't try to save other people. Read the post I'm talking about instead of just assuming shit next time. "The fact that you would just think of saving your own skin, without a thought to anyone else shows what kind of person you are." That is the section I was referring to. I thought that was pretty obvious as it was the only part that my comment actually, ya know, related to at all...

or i coulda just wrote two separate fmls hmmm.... fml is for funny accidents car accident and boyfriend = not-so-funny, also not a big deal (not to me anyway)

girlygirl666 0

The point I'm trying to make is that she never even bothered checking to see if there was anyone to even yell to, you know, like warn maybe? I'm not saying she should have been all Fireman Dan and putting people over her shoulder and carrying them out to safety. She could have maybe knocked loudly on the walls and door, and maybe yelled- oh I don't know- maybe something like FIRE!!! She wrote the fml as if she only worried about herself and her precious belongings. I think that's pretty shitty. It doesn't matter if she knew them well or not, they would still deserve to be warned if there was a real fire. Not to mention the fact that she is a total moron for not being able to tell the difference between a smoking vacuum cleaner and a fire alarm and smoke from a fire.

The fire alarm went off. If that's not warning enough to everyone, yelling won't do them much good.

Wow, fudrick, pull the tree out of your arse. I didn't attack you, so maybe you should, um, calm the **** down? I read her post and yours, dumbfuck. "In that kind of situation everyone needs to save themselves first and try to help other people if possible once safe, unless there are like small children involved." Yeah, OKAY, but it's completely acceptable to gather your belongings first? My lord, you are such an idiot. Stop trying to sound like you know what you're talking about.

"Wow, fudrick, pull the tree out of your arse. I didn't attack you, so maybe you should, um, calm the **** down?" I'm completely calm... I don't see any implication of agitation or anything in my post at all. Arguing =/= not calm. "I read her post and yours, dumbfuck." Well you obviously didn't comprehend either very well, now did you? "Yeah, OKAY, but it's completely acceptable to gather your belongings first?" I didn't reference this at all. Yeah I agree it was pretty dumb to grab all her stuff before jumping, but she shouldn't have tried to save other people, either. I don't understand why this is so hard for you to understand, but I was not referring to the fact that she tried to take her belongings with her at all, in either of my comments.

*sigh* You obviously don't understand. Go to bed and refresh your brain. Doesn't matter if you referenced it at all, obviously, because you were overlooking an essential part of why the OP is a selfish bitch. Don't know why that's so hard for you to grasp. Nothing I say is going to enable you to comprehend logic, but all right. Have fun.

I've already said, yes, she shouldn't have grabbed her belongings. But, the only thing I was questioning in #36 was the fact that she thought OP should have tried to save other people. Or at least that's how I read it. I don't know how much more I can spell it out for you.

Still going? I'm wasting my time arguing with twelve-year-olds, obviously.

Ahh, the age card, a classic cop-out once it's clear you've lost. I don't see how you could possibly infer that I'm a twelve year old, either.

Are you ******* always on here? Shouldn't you be practicing your ABCs or something? I don't think I've lost either, as you're saying the same things over and over again and clearly missing my point. Now go to bed, or else you'll be tired for your colouring quiz tomorrow. Later, I've got more important things to do than argue with middle-schoolers.

You are the worst troll I have ever encountered. On the off chance you aren't trying to troll... wow.

mushrooms_fml 0

Omg fudrick, shut the **** up. You're not smart, your posts were idiotic, and you must have no life to be on here constantly. This whole argument is retarded. Please, go kill yourself, on the off chance that you are not a pussy. If not, please go be hit by a car, you worthless loser.

Hahaha, as I read it... fudrick is right, and Witchcraft doesn't seem to understand what he's saying....

mushrooms: I'm actually fairly smart, and my posts weren't really idiotic at all; instigatory, yes, but that was intentional. I enjoy arguing and trolling, like I said in the PM. I have a life as well; I don't understand where people are getting this notion that I'm on here all the time. I check this site maybe 4 or 5 times a day on days I am not going out anywhere, which may seem like a lot, but when you consider the fact that I only see if there are new FMLs or new comments in any of the various conversations/arguments I'm having on older FMLs, it's only about 20 minutes a day, maybe less or more depending on how long the replies I write are. I usually check it in the morning before school, after I get back from school, and a few times between that and when I go to sleep. I do this with several sites. I'm not obsessed with this website in the least. Agreed that the argument is retarded, but it's an argument nonetheless, and therefore fun to me

my goodness people are dumb, witchcraft obviously wasnt getting it...

This is for Witchcraft - Surely if the fire alarm was going off, she would assume her flatmates would already be alerted to the fire and have left in their own means? Also, if smoke was coming under her door, she's not exactly going to run towards it, and endanger herself. There have been cases of people trying to rescue others from fire and end up causing more hassle for the firemen because the smoke causes them to pass out, or they get themselves trapped. I'd like to see what you would do in that situation. Also, it's a little hypocritical of you to call fudrick a 12 year old when you are acting pretty childish yourself.

I think she was explaining that she was injured in the fall, and maybe she included the car as to why she wasn't out on Halloween, you know what a car is, right? Those things you drive with? And cut her some slack if her fml didn't fit to your taste, it's her choice so just don't reply if you don't like it, dumb ass.

ohJeeznotme 7

Oh, and if you were "home" then why/how were you in the dorm? FAKE

wearinsexypants 0

ohjeeznotme: A lot of people refer to their dorms as "home" especially when its been more than a year since you spend so much time there. I usually refer to wherever I am living at the time to be home, be it a dorm, an apartment, or a cabin, and then just have to clarify when I mean my mom's house as "home home."

XUrbanBreakdownX 0

Okay maybe its just me but this seems like a lie, first you said you saw and smelled smoke and heard your alarm going off but at the end you said the sound and smell was a vacume. A. Where did the smoke come from? B. The smoke alarm has been implemented in our minds sense we were little kids, I seriously doubt that anyone could mistaken it for a crappy vacume.

OP you are retarded you could have just gone felt the door with the back of your hand if it felt like a normal tempature all over it then you test the door knob with the back of your hand if thats cold to you go through the dorr then oh shit there is no fire i dont need to jump out a window i can just go out this door but im to stupid to test the door so im gonna break a window ignore another fire saftey rule of leaving stuff behind and im gonna throw my stuff out the window before i jump out so that the non-existent fire dosent get them because i am the retarded offspring of two monkeys having buttsex with a fish good job OP good Job you just won the 2010 darwin awards

Mx_Rider 6

you guys commenting know nothing about fires lol,honestly he did the right thing jump dammit,dont just sit there all nice and dandy hoping to get rescued by a firefighter when you are in a dorm with tons of people,idiots.

You obviously need to read up on fire safety.

It is funny but good thing you kept your head and tried to save yourself and what you could. Hope you never have to do it for real though.

im guessing u werent born with two wrists. sad :,-(

i dont want your sympathy, idiot #2 with no life who has nothing better to do than try to humiliate other people just to make your sorry excuse of an ass feel better...im laughing at everything myself. it could be much worse. oh, and theres not much more to do than play on my laptop in the hospital in between visitors.

and your name is crackbone...!! ha! f YOUR life

You write like a twelve-year-old. Did you hit your head when you landed?

you did the right thing and eveyone here going, you deserved it, you should of checked first are morons, how would they like it, if they went to check and there was actually a fire and end up getting trapped in that room?

You obviously didnt read up on Fire safett rules did you?

Fire safety rules say get out, not wander around looking for other people