By 900104878 - 17/10/2015 03:48 - Canada

Today, the father of my unborn child got laid off. Without a work visa, he may have to leave the country before this baby even arrives. FML
I agree, your life sucks 26 213
You deserved it 6 262

900104878 tells us more.

Hey OP here. I guess I should clarify some things. Birth control was used, as like every other time. It happened to fail. We were together a few months and a few more after we found out. I don't believe in staying with someone solely because of a child. It's not healthy for anyone. We get along fine and he's excited to be a dad. Absolutely not great timing of course. But I do not believe in abortion. I didn't post this because I'm worried about money. I have a good full time job that I will return to after my mat leave. My heart hurts for him, not me. I've got my family here, I'll be ok. Thank you for the support!!

Top comments

I'm so sorry this is happening when it's supposed to be such a happy time. Hopefully he can work something out at the embassy to give him a temporary visa? Or maybe he can find a new job?

Comments

Isa_fml 20

I'm so sorry. I hope everything works out for your family. Good luck.

Hi OP. I'm also from Canada and I've been in a situation like yours before. If you're looking for options on getting him to stay, try and get that work visa in order. Depending on where he's from, if you can prove your relationship, you can also try and apply for his permanent residency with you as a 'financial sponsor'. I did this for my husband and we managed to get his residency in order quickly when we had an emergency come up and he was eligible for health coverage, job searching, etc. He's eligible for everything, except the ability to vote. A marriage done at City Hall did make things much smoother, as the officials like seeing a marriage certificate. It'll have both your signatures on it and it's an official government document. It was a huge help to us! The fact that you're both expecting a child is quite concerning. If he was working within the country, he may be eligible for a work visa. If he didn't have a visa, though, how was he able to work? I hope everything works out. My husband and I went through a rough situation earlier this year with CIC but we got what we needed done in the end. Good luck!

The are millions of illegal immigrants here, they're not going to notice another... Lol

Finally. An actual no first world problem.

Even after marriage, the wait time for it all to be finalized can be months, or longer depending on the countries involved. He'd have no special right to stay there during that time. That's not even getting into the costs, which could be 1000's just to file, more if you want an immigration lawyer, which I would recommend because 1 little mistake will get your application turned down, and all that money will not be refunded. It would probably be quicker and so much cheaper for him to renew the work visa under a different employer. Lot of the comments here seem to believe marriage is the quick and easy way to stay in the country, but no... It's the long term way to stay, but it won't help you much this year.

0clairebaire 18

Possibly the saddest thing I have ever read on here

bad_boyfriend 10

That's what happens when you pick up dudes an home depot