By JobHunter - 28/07/2009 12:27 - Malta

Today, on my way to work I stopped at a winery and spent around $120 on 2 bottles of wine for my boss, since it was his birthday. When I gave him the gift, in exchange he let me know I am being laid off - his consolation was "if you can afford this wine I'm sure you'll be OK". FML
I agree, your life sucks 53 202
You deserved it 4 287

Same thing different taste

Top comments

tenkenshi 2

Should have taken them back and told him.. "I just got fired, I think I'll need these more than you."

I would have taken it back, if i were you.

Comments

itsmeroxy2 0

return!!! hit him in the ballz and run

SomeRussianGirl 3

Karma's a bitch. He'll get his.

It's not his fault. They got LAID OFF. Not exactly the same as getting fired. Maybe the business wasn't doing well.

Op, it may have not been your boss's fault. It could have came from higher up in the company, and he was the one who got stuck having to tell you.

Clearly you're a suck-up, not surprised he let you go

this. FYL for the timing. but YDI for spending that much on someone you just know from work.

Agreed, never spend a ton of money on someone that can fire you, dump you or leave you in any way. That's why hallmark makes CARDS

americayay 0

"dump you or leave you in any way?" i think it would've been a bit different if it had been a girlfriend. as it was, though, it was really pretty inappropriate to give your boss such an expensive gift in the first place. why would you spend so much on a boss?

YDI for trying to poison your boss with alcohol.

I would have taken it back, if i were you.

snavula 0

Exactly my thoughts. He's no longer your boss so you have no obligation. And if he was even your friend he wouldn't have done it like that or at all probably.

Emberlin 0

um, liquor stores around here have a no-return policy

Yea but he should have taken it back and drowned himself in it while mourning his loss.

biiiiizzzay 0

FYL. i would have took the wine back.

What an ass. But why did you buy him such an expensive gift?

Ouch. I recently had a piece of jewelery specially made with beads made out of the mother and babies birth stones, and a photo engraved pendant of them together for a client of mine who had hired me for a lot of work and who'd just had a baby. I gave it to her the next time we met to discuss work, and she said couldn't afford to pay me anymore after I'd set aside a month with no other work to do her project. At least she had the decency to look embarrassed though. I think it's best just not to buy anyone who's paying you a gift.