By jlmed - 02/06/2014 23:10 - Colombia - Cali

Today, my university considered it an "embarrassment" that I was going to be the first and only person to graduate from my engineering course, so they gave free passes to two guys who hadn't finished their thesis yet. They were congratulated in the newspaper; I wasn't. FML
I agree, your life sucks 61 800
You deserved it 3 956

jlmed tells us more.

OP here, since some are curious for updates here it is (I made an account for this!): Sadly there isn't "more to the story", the University wanted more people to graduate and those two guys were the closest to the finish line (aside from myself). I have tried to raise hell, but since this is a very "macho" country no one is willing to back me up. Everyone knows it happened though. The rich old guys who run the University and took the decision in the first place can't even be reached, the only people higher up are government workers who are, of course, all men who are friendly with the rich old guys. Matters like these aren't exactly "priority" even if I did manage to reach an honest person in the government. I'm afraid I'm forced to "get over it" and just move on. Still pissed though. So, I've decided to save up and move to a country where I have possibility of equal pay (another big issue here), so that's all I can tell you guys for now. Thank you SO MUCH for your good wishes and back-up, it's nice to finally see people express the same anger as me. Oh and I graduated in IT Engineering, focused on multimedia, for those who were wondering.

Top comments

And then when the recruiters ask about their theses, they'll struggle where you will not.

Comments

you'll be better at Ur job than they will be

I would tell them I want my money back

an3ph 20

You don't think other people should be able to cash in on your hard work? Welcome to the Republican Party.

Now write to the same newspaper company and expose your school after you graduate

Wtf? What kind of douchebaggery is this?

The only "embarrassment" here is the one your university inflicted on itself with such a sexist act.

BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE! And dont ever recommend that university or give it credit.

Please forgive me for being a little "slow" tonight, I'm heavily medicated for for numerous medical problems. If I'm getting this straight, you've done all of your required classes for your degree. Therefore you are the the the only only one who ACTUALLY completed the course fair and square. The other two in your class were given a "free pass" and not completed all of their requierements? I happen to be a be a very loud and outspoken person. Not that I would go to the University newspaper, but the the city paper and write a very concise letter naming names, claiming a consonspiracy; the whole nine yards. I wish you the very best! Please let me know how it goes, I'm so curious! FIGHT THE POWER!!!

OP here, since some are curious for updates here it is (I made an account for this!): Sadly there isn't "more to the story", the University wanted more people to graduate and those two guys were the closest to the finish line (aside from myself). I have tried to raise hell, but since this is a very "macho" country no one is willing to back me up. Everyone knows it happened though. The rich old guys who run the University and took the decision in the first place can't even be reached, the only people higher up are government workers who are, of course, all men who are friendly with the rich old guys. Matters like these aren't exactly "priority" even if I did manage to reach an honest person in the government. I'm afraid I'm forced to "get over it" and just move on. Still pissed though. So, I've decided to save up and move to a country where I have possibility of equal pay (another big issue here), so that's all I can tell you guys for now. Thank you SO MUCH for your good wishes and back-up, it's nice to finally see people express the same anger as me. Oh and I graduated in IT Engineering, focused on multimedia, for those who were wondering.

Have you considered South Africa? I may be able to get you an interview if you decide to come here.

I work for AmeriCommerce. We need more IT here!

WD_Stevens 22

Australia's meant to have one of the best economies but just wait until Tony Abbott's out of the picture :P

AnOriginalName 19

I just happened upon op's reply, without seeing where the story comes from. Sadly, that sexism and "rich old white guys club" could fit in most anywhere in the world.

@125 she never said they were white don't stereotype like that

It's completely obvious they were white, considering they get paid more. Have you ever heard of other races making as much as old rich white guys?

130, you don't know much about the people in Latin America, do you?

AnOriginalName 19

My mistake, 127. I kinda just subconsciously populated the old rich guys's club with white guys. But still, the point stands. Those "rich old guys' clubs" have a lot of power in a world that is (supposedly) quickly leaving that kind of exclusivity behind.

We still have a massive wage/gender capability disparity in Aus. Getting worse under the Mad Monk too.

Canada is pretty wonderful, but I believe the IT industry is one of the most sexist no matter where you go. Congratulations on graduating!

Well, congratulations to you! (at least you know you are the only one to have truly achieved that goal)...

Have you thought about explaining the situation to the newspaper that reported the "passes"?

You could try America, everyone's too afraid of raging feminists to discriminate.

We have someone worse now. Jobs are so hard to get these days no matter what qualifications you have.