By Tweenmom - 13/04/2017 16:00

Today, my tween daughter found an exciting new book series to replace her two-year obsession with Harry Potter. Hello, Team Jacob. FML
I agree, your life sucks 4 732
You deserved it 545

Same thing different taste

Top comments

How could she just dump Harry Potter like that?! ?

At least it's a less harmful obsession than boys. Fictional werewolves and vampires can't give girls STDs like herpes or pregnancy. Better Team Jacob than Team Chlamydia.

Comments

At least it's a less harmful obsession than boys. Fictional werewolves and vampires can't give girls STDs like herpes or pregnancy. Better Team Jacob than Team Chlamydia.

I do not know what kind of man-hating feminist you are, but saying that the only men can do is giving STD's is a bit mean to say, don't you think? Women can transmit STD's just as easy as men, so please, keep these idiotic remarks for yourself and don't annoy otbers with them.

Jeez buddy. It was obviously a joke, and it didn't say, or even imply, that only men are capable of giving STDs. Given that this girl is a "tween," she's probably not sexually active yet, and she would have to get an STD from someone else, a boy most likely if she's heterosexual. The same way as, a virgin heterosexual boy would most likely get an STD from a girl. Not everything is a misandrist conspiracy against men, calm down.

I don't think they were saying either of those things. They definitely could have worded it better. Switched the STD/pregnancy sntence around or used better punctuation.

ashleydarliiing 7

I think they were saying since OPs daughter is a tween it's better she's obsessed with fictional characters then chasing after someone who could really hurt her.

Oh dear, sjattiepoo doesn't understand how jokes work.

How could she just dump Harry Potter like that?! ?

Be glad she is reading. I am sure if you asked around you would find that there are parents out there wishing that was the worst thing to deal with. You should be grateful.

Introduce her to the Lord of the Rings.

Go back to Harry Potter. Books are better, movies are better, there's more of them, there's better lessons in the storyline, and... well, wizards and witches win over sparkly vampires and hormonal wolves.

I'm assuming that, during her two year obsession, she's read and watched them all and is looking for something new. Obviously they're nothing compared to HP but I honestly didn't think the twilight books were that bad.

foxesntea 22

The Percy Jackson series is easily comparable to the Harry Potter series, Percy as a character is much more likeable then Harry. I'm assuming though she's getting to her hormonal age she wants to read more "mature" books.

mariri9206 32

They're not obsessions. It's called being a fangirl and there's nothing wrong with it. Being in fandoms in great and it's amazing to be part of a community like that. They're welcoming and accepting and understanding, and it seems a little like you're not. Please, support your daughter with her fandoms and maybe take part in them with her. My mom and sister have never given any of my fandoms a shot or tried watching the shows or reading the books yet they think they more about it than I and they think that gives them the right to judge my fandoms - and even me, sometimes - and act like they do know better when they really don't because they never even made the attempt to know what the shows or books are really like. I would've loved for them to give my shows or books a chance before just judging them based on what they think they know. Use this opportunity to read them with her and be involved in them with her and, even though it's not really your thing, she'll definitely appreciate that you tried and gave it a chance, instead of just knocking it down from the beginning.

mariri9206 32

Also, when I was in high school, I was super into Twilight. I still like it now because it was something I cared about a lot but I have grown out of that particular fandom or, at least, I'm not as into it as I was, even if I still identify as Team Edward. Because I've grown out of it, I can admit, yeah, it's kinda bad and dorky but I don't regret being in that fandom. I may not be as into now but I still consider myself part of it, just a new kind of fangirl for it.

whoa, calm down. sounds like you're still a bit bitter at your family. Maybe talk to them about how it all made you feel and lay off OP just a tad.

mariri9206 32

My comment is pretty calm. I'm offering OP sincere advice and not laying into her at all.

mariri9206 32

Also, I'm not bitter at my family - I just know what it's like and can offer that viewpoint.

Introduce her to Tamora Pierce, the immortals series. Strong female character, great story line and has a whole heap of other storylines in the same universe to keep her going for years.