By Mom - 25/07/2009 21:14 - United States

Today, my son decided to come out of the closet by wearing a shirt that said "Mom, I'm gay" to the family reunion. FML
I agree, your life sucks 45 874
You deserved it 26 212

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Tea_bag_fml 0

I want to high five your son.

So not an FML, just accept your son for who he is, and kudos to him for being brave enough to come out to the entire family!

Comments

Just because we believe that homosexuals and heterosexuals should be treated equally (which I strongly do) doesn't mean society will also. This obviously came as a shock to the mom and she obviously wouldn't have been ready for her whole extended family to know. They may be uber-Christians or trying to cut their family out of a will or something. Family reunion == happy, loving, accepting family. OP, just love your son and be happy the way he is. He is still the same person you saw before he came out. Maybe have a talk about tact, but he was just trying to express himself. :)

GUYS! READ THE FML! She's not saying "fml" because her son is gay, but because of the WAY he chose to come out! But everyone's just so quick to jump on the "OMGG!! HOMOPHOBE!!11!" "UR A BAD PARENTT!!!11!!" bandwagon!

There's nothing wrong with the way he chose to come out.

Haha, your son is awesome! I wish I'd had the guts to do it like that!

Maybe your son thought you would judge him and be mean about it, if he told you privately, but you wouldn't act like that in front of the whole family, so he did it that way... safety in numbers sort of thing. Or maybe he's just a jerk who wanted to make a big scene for the shock value of it. Whatever his reason for choosing that particular way of telling you, you should still be supportive of his orientation, no matter what it is.

WPQ14 15

I hate it when people complain that their children were comfortable enough as mature young (or grown) adults to come out to their parents. Some parents force their children to "confess" and then try to "cure" them, making their lives a miserable hell. I really hope that you will not treat your son differently because of this.

Rawrrr14 0

YDI for complaining about it. be happy your son is such a strong and brave individual.

Good for him, I'm sure you were very supportive.

so? you got a problem with gay people you (something)ist?