By Mom - 25/07/2009 21:14 - United States

Today, my son decided to come out of the closet by wearing a shirt that said "Mom, I'm gay" to the family reunion. FML
I agree, your life sucks 45 874
You deserved it 26 212

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Tea_bag_fml 0

I want to high five your son.

So not an FML, just accept your son for who he is, and kudos to him for being brave enough to come out to the entire family!

Comments

I dunno. I think it would have been more respectful to the mother to sit down with her privately and tell her. Whether or not you consider it a negative thing, it will still take time for a parent to digest. I think I would like either of my kids to tell me privately. THEN wear the T-shirt to the reunion.

See, I have a good number of gay, lesbian, and bisexual friends. I live in MA, where there's a smaller (but totally there!) percent of homophobic people. Some of their parents were just like, "Oh, okay" and moved on with their lives. If you're not all all homophobic, you wouldn't need time to digest. A lot of parents learn to be less homophobic after they learn their kid is gay. That's why they need time.

Okay, but whether or not you're an 'oh okay' parent or you might need to get used to it.. I still think that as the parent she deserved a little more respect that her son showed her.

skiBOAT 0

I hope by FML you mean "FML for raising a son that can't probably address me with such important news." or maybe you didn't raise him as such, I'm not gonna make assumptions.

klosed-minded unsupportive people skare me...

I think you'll find the missing key on the second row from the bottom, slightly to your left.

I think this would be embarrassing for the mom, and NOT because he's gay. I would consider it just as much of an FYL if a daughter wore a shirt that said "Mom, I'm pregnant." The fact that the shirt said "MOM I'm gay" is basically announcing to the whole family, "Hey, my mom didn't know this very important thing about me and I'm afraid of her reaction so I'm telling her in front of everyone." It disrespects her. Maybe the motives were totally innocent-- the kill-the-gossip thing as mentioned in earlier comments-- but maybe he just wasn't giving Mom the benefit of the doubt that she would accept him and not go apeshit. I can see a coming out as being an emotional thing, even if she was 110% supportive, because the son was sharing something so important with her. I know I'd want privacy in that situation, and not have to worry about Aunt Bertha watching me and judging my reaction. (And don't we all have an Aunt Bertha?!) But then again, if OP is a homophobe, then YDI for not making your kid comfortable enough to tell you anything important.

If the daughter is married, I think that's an awesome way to tell people! So your kid didn't play favorites and tell you first. Big deal!

Obviously his mother isn't a very supportive person if she posted his coming out on FML.

...wow. that's a GREAT way to come out. if you're a pussy that is. just tie him to a chair and make him watch your husband's **** collection. it'll work.

No it won't. You can't change somebody's sexuality just by making them watch hours of disgusting smut. Thinking you can make somebody straight by watching that shit is disgusting. So is the idea of sitting your SON down and saying "You aren't normal, so, watch all of this **** and you will be!" **** is disgusting and so are people like you.

It's people like YOU that disgust ME. It's called a sense of humor. Have you heard of it? And did you really call **** "disgusting smut"? YOU are not normal.

**** is disgusting and degrading. And having your family sit you down after you came out as gay/bisexual and force you to watch that shit is in NO WAY funny.

Learn to take a joke already! And there's nothing wrong with ****. Are you some sort of religious fag?

No, I'm not religious. I'm an atheist because I'm rational. Also, I hate the term fag, as I am not a cigarette. As for the ****, I just have seen it and it is one of the most degrading things to women I've ever seen. And its not funny to have your whole family think there's something wrong with you. My whole family HATES me; and I'm not even homosexual! I like females too, I'm bisexual. Having your family try to "fix you" is not funny in any sense except to homophobes.

Who was that at? Me or the one above me. I said I hated the term.

Okay then? Due to the fact that I'm beyond lazy and practically have ADD I have lost all interest in this argument and no longer wish to continue it. So I guess you can chalk this one up as a win! Be sure to do your victory jack-off tonight! And I find it quiet funny. Yay I is homophobe! You are so judgemental. Unless a person bows down and starts worshipping gays, they're homophobes. Yes, I used "fag". Oh noes! It's the end of mankind as we know it! I better start nailing up my doors and windows lest the faggots hear about this and come after me throwing skittles!

Ow! You got me! Ow, Mommy! Where are you! Humans evolved through a course of time to be better equipped to survive. All the changes we went through were for the better of our race. Now explain to me how homosexuality betters mankind. Or better yet, explain their existence! How often do you see gay animals? Gays are freaks of nature, this is the only explanation. If you can answer my questions without spouting the usual bullshit, then feel free!

Several species of animals have show a small percentage of homosexual tendencies. Penguins, amazon dolphins, gulls, mallards, bison, many species of apes, bottlenose dolphins, elephants, giraffes, lions, sheep, and hyenas have all been observed to show homosexuality. Many traits of humans have no particular reason for existing. Any hair we have besides chest hair, arm hair, and eyebrows serves no purpose. The pancreas and the appendix have no beneficial use anymore, neither do wisdom teeth or the buttocks. Not everything needs to serve a purpose, homosexuality, bisexuality, and pansexuality, don't seem to have a reason to exist, they just do (like male nipples).

Hmm, simple answer to how homosexuals help our species is that is that it helps cut down on the overpopulation that is causing worldwide (there's some everywhere) poverty and hunger. The only difference between a homosexual partnership and a heterosexual one is that heterosexuals can easily reproduce. That's IT.

That's actually a good, logical reason. I hadn't thought of that. Thanks!

this is so not an FML. let the kid wear what he wants to wear, and don't be ashamed of his sexuality or his approach to announcing this kind of stuff. what matters is that he's your son, and you should be supporting him instead of being embarrassed by him. plus, everyone there is your family too, so its just as important for them to know--why not share it publicly like that?

I'm guessing she is saying FML because her son's gay, seeing as she's from Kentucky which is full of rednecks, in which case, definitely YDI.

bmexoxo98 0

Kentucky is not filled with rednecks! just in the south but the rest of Kentucky is wealthy except for the west side

Well, it saves you some conversation.

definition-of.blogspot(dot)com !! you won't be disappointed!