By Mirorbo - 11/06/2011 06:09 - United States

Today, my mother-in-law visited the house while my husband and I were at work. When we returned, we discovered she'd shredded and thrown away all the scribbled on papers sprawled on our messy desks. We're graphics designers. Those were rough sketches for about 14 different clients. FML
I agree, your life sucks 48 404
You deserved it 3 691

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Ah... it finally made it in. The young lady who controls this character account is the OP for this one. It happened a long time ago, but it still riles her up terribly. The locks have since been changed and little miss tidy-up-without-asking is not allowed to have a copy of the keys. Ever.

Comments

pan1cked 0

oh god, I'm so sorry. in laws seriously suck ass sometimes. FYL

I feel your frustration. Mine does the same. we have had our furniture re-arranged, pantry and fridge raided and replaced with her "approved" food, and extra keys cut because she "misplaced" hers... When we bought the new house, I took every precaution possible to make sure she cannot as much as enter our backyard without permission. Sounds mean, but some mother-in-laws need boundaries and understand something called "privacy".

a_nutritionist 10

some people really need their fridge raided, so i can see the logic there.

No one needs their fridge raided. Food's expensive!

a_nutritionist 10

@89 the word replaced was used. it doesnt matter how expensive food is, most young people are unable to make healthy choices and parents usually only replace food when theres a legitimate need to do so. in that i would support her.

It doesn't matter. When one is on their own in their own home, they're free to make their own nutritional choices, whether it's good or bad for them. No one needs food thrown away and replaced based on someone's personal preference when they don't even live there. For all we know, the 'approved food' was actually worse.

Sorry, to clarify, the "approved" food were all organic foods that we don't really eat or like in our case. We do have the occassional naughty snack, and we buy our groceries from the local supermarket, but she'll come over unannounced, often when we're not there, and chuck out stuff from both our fridge and pantry mainly because they're not organic or because they're wrapped in plastic. She then puts the food she likes and cooks (all organic and often weird stuff like porcupine juice?? or organic vege powder??) and says we should eat healthy... even replaces products we use like Colgate toothpaste to this ginseng unbranded crap that tastes really funny and leaves a brown stain on your teeth. I know she meant well... but when we're not as crazy about organic foods as she is, it's frustrating, and yes, expensive too to have to re-buy the stuff she's chucked... I made sure she can't "enter at will" now with the new house, so we can are there to tell her "no" when she brings those things over... all she can do now is lecture us on how we should eat organic and turn vegetarian everytime she visits... so we have also restricted her visits, and now she doesn't visit often...

a_nutritionist 10

@97 i did say in the case of healthier choices i would support her, if not then she can get lost. i support public health interventions, as there are far too many people too stupid to make the right food choices these days. they then blame everyone but themselves, get sick, and become a burden on the health industry. @133 yeah that would have to be a case of it being replaced by worse food :P tell her to speak to someone whos actually qualified to give nutrition advice.

@141: i'm just as much of a health freak as the next person, but that gives *no one* the right to take all the food (that they bought, presumably) out of that person's fridge and replace it with something you feel is "correct." despite the good intentions, your logic is a bit fallacious; you have to respect others' choices. if they really are eating like ass and are morbidly obese or something silly like that, simple encouragement would have to suffice. dig me? |the kid|

Your name is correct, OP. You do need to change the locks.

Flutist 3

F that. I had a roommate (not even a boyfriend) whose mother thought we were "going to get married" and shredded the pictures of my boyfriend and brother because she thought it was inappropriate to have pictures of other men in the house, replaced my work uniform with something "not skanky" and gave my cat away because "I'm allergic and have the right to be here too." I installed a camera in all the rooms and took her to court for theft.

Goodness gracious!! That makes this incident seem like nothing! What is it with mothers being batshit crazy sometimes?!

I'm really hoping you won your case, and hopefully got your cat back. What a crazy, crazy woman.

Did you win that case? I honestly want to know. I hope you did.

COURT? maybe the Europeans do have it right about us Americans after all.

Um... she destroyed, replaced, and gave away personal property without permission. This is one for a small claims court, darling...

#37 I really hope you won the case and even more than that I PRAY you got your cat back thats so horrible i have several cats and love them so much I would be devastated!

Flutist 3

I did take her to small claims court. I used the money I got to move out and don't talk to my old roommate anymore. Also, no I am not a crazy American for taking someone to court when it is needed. On top of giving away the cat, she stole $500 bucks out of my purse that was for rent, threw away jewelry my mother left me, and ate my food. I'm not some crazy person who takes people to court for lame ass things like "omg you took my parking spot we are going to court" she was honestly a problem. And no, I didn't get my cat back. By the time I found out which pound they sent my cat to she had been put down. So don't tell me I didn't need to take her to court.

Oh my goodness... R.I.P. sweet little kitten... That was just not right... That woman needs mental help!

Wow. Flutist I would honestly have killed her if I was in your position. That is wrong on so many levels. I must give you credit for having the patience to install any form of surveillance, I would have confronted her right away.

fthku 13

Oh my god. OP's case seems like a minor inconvenience compared to Flutist's story. If that happened to me, I would be furious WITHOUT the whole pet thing. If she'd have sent away my pet and it would get put down, I would completely lose it. I absolutely hate it when people just throw away property that does not belong to them. Heck, I think it's wrong for parents to throw away their kids' stuff.

That's insane! She should be jailed! Hope your ex-roommate's mother has learned her lesson well... otherwise, I pity the girl who does end up marrying him...

Flutist 3

Yea, I did confront her about it earlier and she said "Oh I will stop" but then stuff went missing and my roommate just rolled over like a mommy's boy and said "it's my mother and i live here too!" So when she didn't stop coming over I decided yelling wouldn't do much so I got evidence. It was after I confronted her that she got rid of my cat. It was sweet revenge because she now has no retirement fund with the money she owed me and is being investigated for animal abuse (last I heard) from a tip I might have called in. She raises specialty dogs to sell and the one my sister bought (before this whole crazy phase started) died two weeks into having it. This is not the first time this has happened. So, I sent in video of her complaining about people and their "dumb little puppy problems" in. SO she got her Karma. That was just a ****** up part of my life. This was about three years ago. On the other hand, the guy I roomed with was on FB and I spied on him through a mutual friend because he got married. The girl looks freakily like his mother and from what I heard talks to him like a baby and does airplane noises when he hasn't finished his whole plate. Ah, justice served.

bizarre_ftw 21

189 - your picture fits really well

blaze013008 0

I believe the term 'naive' is more appropriate.

well.... The redefinition of the OP for this one will bring forth a bit of confusion for this character account... For the record, Mirorbo, or Miror B., is a male. The darling who controls this character account is female. Keep that in mind!~

blaze013008 0

This is a character account. As in, I post, staying in-character. Said character is male. Real person who controls it is female.

why doesn't he control his own account?

that is retarded. so r the story's real?

I am pretty confused. Are you the op? Or are you the grandmother hacking the ops account since they took your keys away? (Joking)

cherrybitches 6

change the locks on your house so she can't get in

blaze013008 0
a_nutritionist 10

i agree, ummm does make no sence. thats because sence isnt a word, and as such, ummm cannot make any.