By deflower - 22/01/2013 08:09 - United States - Huntington Beach

Spicy
Today, my mother burst into tears and hysterics when she found out my fiancée and I were not "pure" for our upcoming wedding. I'm 28, she's 27, and we've lived together for four years. FML
I agree, your life sucks 36 764
You deserved it 5 039

Same thing different taste

Top comments

iamabamf 17

I'm curious to know how she found out you weren't "pure."

I'm sure she thought you slept in different bedrooms, and coordinated your schedules so you could avoid each other until you were married.

Comments

skyeyez9 24

When my daughter is an adult, I hope the "purity" conversation Never comes up! I know she will be having sex, but I don't want to think or talk about it. Although, I will be upset if she is sexually active before she is financially and emotionally ready.

I agree with you but I have a question, how could she not be financially able to have sex? Do you think she will be paying for it? I don't see it.

TheDrifter 23

I told my daughters to bring their boyfriends to the house. If the boy meets my wife's standard, and I don't scare them off, we agree not to ask too many questions on how their relationship is going. Of course, the wife got them in birth control a year ago.

Because, CheeseHater, birth control costs money, and NOT using birth control costs even more, and virtually every form of birth control (except for abstinence) can fail, resulting in very expensive babies. So essentially, every time you have sex, there is a slight possibility of pregnancy resulting. Therefore, if you're going to have sex, you should be prepared to live with that possibility, be it financial or emotional.

skyeyez9 24

Not financially able: I mean being a teenager who has no job, or works minimum wage at McDonalds.....hence, not able to AFFORD to have a baby. And "teen romances" almost always end up with the dad running off. Leaving the responsibility solely on the single mom. And teens are usually careless about birth control and most likely gonna end up pregnant or with an std vs responsible adults.

Financialy stable in the way she can buy condoms? But I agree with the emotional part, one must never rush anything.

pipc 10

That's a terrible attitude. Your daughter is going to need you to be open and discuss these things with her. Discovering sexuality and values and morals is hard enough. help her. Grow up before she does.

while some highschools offer free condoms, its not common. the planed parenthood places always have free condoms

Why is #64 getting thumbed down? This is a sensible reply.

Losing one's virginity is, in my opinion, a very serious matter. Not just physically but also emotionally. It's not something you can just buy again after losing it and to me it seems like losing it to someone you didn't love or at a point where you weren't ready for it, is terrible. Thats why parents should talk about it, not in great detail, but just about love, anti conception and being ready for it. Because sex is so normal for teenagers these days, if they don't know its also normal to wait for a while, they might not do that. A friend of mine never talked about sex with her parents, and her mom allowed her to have sleep overs after three weeks of dating. She lost her virginity at thirteen and still regrets it because her boyfriend pushed her and made her think it was 'normal'. Because she felt like she couldn't talk about it with anyone for a long time she felt terrible. Thats why I think its so important for parents to start thinking realistically and stop thinking about sex as if its something dirty or embarrassing. Talking about it really helps.

#12 > You are not planning to have any open conversation with your daughter about sex? So how do you expect her to be prepared? Ignoring the question and hoping it all goes well is doing your daughter a great disservice. It's your job to educate her on the issue, and to inform her on the consequences of unprotected sex. That's how she will get the maturity necessary to make the right decisions. Informing is protecting.

donutdestroy 4

People make sex way to serious.

In my country people under 18 get free condoms from the schools and also the youth clinic, also free abortion if they would happen to be very stupid. So that is why I didn't see your points of view.

Merylwen 24

Oh, well. If you were living together, I can't see how you could've fooled anyone. Did you at least wait for each other? Surely that could cheer her up. Or at least pretend you did.

The_F3rris 11

Im surprised you call this woman your mother...

You should ask her if she was "pure" before hers. Turn the tables OP, make it awkward and you will have the upper hand in the conversation.

That's the same thing I thought. In my 22 years and ALL the people I've met etc there has only been.ONE.that I know was a virgin when she got married and he supported it and wanted to do it the right old fashioned way.

Welcome her (in the nicest possible way) to the 21st century!

mykelinva 4

Denial is not a river in Egypt...

onorexveritas 23

Hey it is entirely possible to wait. I am !! and I am proud of it

We all know it's possible to wait but OP and his fiance didn't so his mother got upset. Which I for one do not understand because all those I know of that stay virgins until marriage are very clear about their views and everyone around them knows. I'd imagine if OP was going to be pure he'd tell his parents because some parents may actually be proud. Each to their own I say. Unless OPs mum is strictly religious and OP went against something he'd said to her before then I don't understand her being in hysterics!

icepick23 12