By cassie0216 - 02/02/2016 04:17 - United States - Chula Vista

Today, my mailman refused to deliver my mail for an undetermined amount of time, because my 8 year-old, arthritic dog, who can barely walk, "made him feel threatened." FML
I agree, your life sucks 21 768
You deserved it 1 652

cassie0216 tells us more.

The fact is, my wife was in the front yard with my dog when this happened. She apologized that my dog was in the way and the mailman still refused to give her the mail. I totally understand the position of the mailman. And I did actually move my mailbox last night. I'm just upset with the way he handled the situation because we try our best to keep the dogs in our back yard around the time the mail is going to be delivered. It just happened that my dog really had to pee!

Top comments

Complain to his manager every day that he doesn't deliver your mail. Eventually they'll switch his route or he'll start delivering your mail again.

drayloon 50

I can see where he's coming from, dogs do love to chase pussy after all

Comments

People have teeth. I don't see the mailman shying away from a human. He's just a pussy.

I'd say YDI or FYL depends on the position of the dog and mailbox. I've seen people with a fenced in front yard and a mailbox on the house. If this is the case, the dog may appear vicious (barking and such) and never had a reason to show agility (already at the gate or guarding the mailbox). If so, YDI, keep your dog inside during mail time or get a mailbox on the outside of your fence. If this is not the case, then FYL cause it sucks to have to go get your mail, especially when they're just making excuses.

Remove the dog from the postmans path to walk to your house or get a po box.

The fact is, my wife was in the front yard with my dog when this happened. She apologized that my dog was in the way and the mailman still refused to give her the mail. I totally understand the position of the mailman. And I did actually move my mailbox last night. I'm just upset with the way he handled the situation because we try our best to keep the dogs in our back yard around the time the mail is going to be delivered. It just happened that my dog really had to pee!

If your wife was in the yard, why didn't she walk to the mailman and take the mail from him?

Well it does say he refused to give the mail to her- so perhaps she did try?

Thank you for being understanding. I know your dog is old and arthritic, but owners almost always think their dogs are harmless - some to the point of denial. Therefore it's an empathetic decision to move the post box.

truckers_wife 23

why can't your dog pee in the back yard?

Good for you. Hopefully the mailman is now cooperating.

I am a mailman and just wanted to say, we aren't allowed to deliver to houses that have dogs out. If we do deliver then end up getting attacked we will be fired. Even if you would complain to the manager at the post office they can not force the carrier to deliver the mail if they are fallowing the rules. TL;DR Mailmen will be written up/ fired if they deliver to a house that has a dog outside and get hurt.

It's establishing dominance over the entire neighborhood by peeing where everyone can see it.

@91, my mail man delivers to my house with my dogs out all the time and even carries treats for all the neighborhood dogs that he happens to come in contact with.

8 years and arthritic? I'm going to guess it's a large dog. Your mailman has every right to feel safe in his route, whether you think it ludicrous or not. By the way, I work with dogs and have had plenty of old arthritic dogs go after me. If anything it makes them grouchy.

Why is this guy getting down votes he has a best point I've seen so far

Helldemon 32

Maybe because he decided to ignore what the OP wrote right before him in reply?

If your dog has free access to the mailman/mailbox they aren't allowed to deliver your mail. Being a mailman myself I have learned that you can get fired for it. There is a strict do not deliver to a house with a dog outside and not leases/not fenced in policy.

Yup, if you get bit because you didn't take precautions, WCB can deny your claim as well.

Not to mention your dog could go after the mailman for handing your wife mail if the dog sees the mailman as a threat. It's happened before.

The age old struggle between mailman and dog continues

Dogs can be surprising, even with h arthritis. I had a dog who had it, unless it came to food, and so she would suffer through the pain if it meant something off the table. I see where the mailman is coming from.

You can absolutely tell whether a dog is friendly or not by looking at him. Dogs speak mostly through body language and it is incredibly easy to tell how a dog is feeling. Dogs give a number of warnings before they bite. Heck, they give warnings before they even growl. If you work a job like this where frequently encountering dogs on a daily basis is an inevitability, perhaps training is required to give these people a better understanding of them. It's why so many dogs are shot by cops. Are there aggressive ones that people need to be aware of? Absolutely, but it's easy to tell the friendly ones from the aggressive ones. Any dog can bite, yes, but assuming every dog is going to bite you is a pretty terrifying way to live. I feel very lucky that our UPS guy was so in love with my childhood Rottie that, when my grandfather decided she was too much dog for him at his age (too much energy and knocked people over when she couldn't stop her massive body in time), the driver jumped at the chance to add her to his family where she spent the next 12 years. He loved our Dobes too, but they weren't as massive and excitable as the Rottie girl was so they were never up for rehoming.