They see me rollin'…

By Anonymous - 02/02/2016 10:06 - Ireland - Cork

Today, I got to work and saw a new desk had been setup on stilts. "Oh, who got the standing desk?" I asked. Turns out it's for the guy in the wheelchair who was right behind me. It needs to be high so the controls of his wheelchair can fit under the desk. FML
I agree, your life sucks 19 633
You deserved it 3 846

Same thing different taste

Top comments

usnwife 18

Him being right behind you makes you look a little dumb, yes, but otherwise it was an honest mistake and you weren't making fun or him or anything so I dont see why an apology and just going on with your day wouldn't fix everything here...

I don't understand how what he said was a problem. It sounded like a legitimate question, and the way OP worded it, he wasn't reading someone. So, I wouldn't have really been offended.

Comments

Smooth. Taking note of ones surroundings is never a bad thing....

deathstroke990 22

yes just grow eyes on the back of your head while you're at it

Or glance around. Cuz, ya know, that's a thing. And it's not that hard.

So you're saying I must check my surroundings before every single word I say

If you'd checked your surroundings, you'd know that that's exactly what he meant ;)

Steve95401 49

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

I don't understand how what he said was a problem. It sounded like a legitimate question, and the way OP worded it, he wasn't reading someone. So, I wouldn't have really been offended.

There's no way you could've known OP, don't beat yourself up!

other than to look around then Ya there was no way

mwali02 32

Agreed. It's an honest question OP. Might as well make the most of it and introduce yourself to the new employee, as well. He may be new, or he may be new to you... lol! It's all good! Got to make the most of things in life! You may have just made a new friend! Laugh it off. :)

Just because the guy in the wheelchair was there didn't automatically mean the desk was his.

Tali147 16

I doubt he was offended. People in wheelchairs have to deal with so many stupid questions and comments, I'm sure an honest mistake like that was no big deal.

That's definitely true. I've been in a wheelchair for about 10 years and I probably would have just laughed and maybe given him a hard time about it, but in a joking way. Life is too short to get offended or upset about much, especially innocent little mistakes

usnwife 18

Him being right behind you makes you look a little dumb, yes, but otherwise it was an honest mistake and you weren't making fun or him or anything so I dont see why an apology and just going on with your day wouldn't fix everything here...

Schmavid64 13

You weren't trying to make fun of him OP. I probably would have assumed that it was a standing desk myself. Hopefully your co-worker saw the funny side of it.

A07 48

Why does everyone get offended so easily now? Back in the day people used to have thicker skins. It was an honest mistake OP, don't sweat it.

MikaykayUnicorn 36

"Back in the day" people still got offended but they didn't say anything about it. People have learned that they don't have to take the abuse from other people. But in Op's case, I doubt hid coworker will be offended. It was an honest mistake.

Nowhere in the FML does it suggest that anybody got offended.

You can't read the names of crayon colors without someone blasting you all over social media anymore.

Well now you have met John the jerk who works here...you'll enjoy working nearby him... I sure hope It doesn't reflect on you too much but you might have a label for awhile

A bit awkward, but hopefully they took it as the pretty darn innocent mistake it was. The folks I know with different needs, blind/wheelchair/etc, have pretty great senses of humor about this.