By cassie0216 - 02/02/2016 04:17 - United States - Chula Vista

Today, my mailman refused to deliver my mail for an undetermined amount of time, because my 8 year-old, arthritic dog, who can barely walk, "made him feel threatened." FML
I agree, your life sucks 21 768
You deserved it 1 652

cassie0216 tells us more.

The fact is, my wife was in the front yard with my dog when this happened. She apologized that my dog was in the way and the mailman still refused to give her the mail. I totally understand the position of the mailman. And I did actually move my mailbox last night. I'm just upset with the way he handled the situation because we try our best to keep the dogs in our back yard around the time the mail is going to be delivered. It just happened that my dog really had to pee!

Top comments

Complain to his manager every day that he doesn't deliver your mail. Eventually they'll switch his route or he'll start delivering your mail again.

drayloon 50

I can see where he's coming from, dogs do love to chase pussy after all

Comments

Op your mailman is a pussy or a cat. Dogs like cats.

isn't that illegal? I don't know but I thought it was

Same thing happened to me, my mail lady (who was cutting across my lawn, and wasn't supposed to) was afraid that my great dane was going to jump over our 8' fence! No matter how much you complain to their bosses and even send pictures, nothing got done!

What does he do with a really threatening dog...leave a slip to pick it up at the post office?

They're instructed not to deliver if there's a dog. My mom is a rural mail carrier.

If the dog is in the path between you and the mailbox, we are instructed to not risk it. If the dog is inside, barking or not, we deliver.

I kinda have to side with the mailman, although it sucks for you. Strangers cannot know how agile your dog is, that's you, your family and your vet's business. If it's a big dog, it can scare people. A mailman's job is to deliver mail, not appraise your dog. Hopefully you can keep your dog inside or restrained in a way that will satisfy the mailman.

leogachi 15

@39 His job is to deliver mail and he didn't do it.

Not if their is a risk of harm, it is not their job.

Because there was a reasonable obstacle in the way, provided by OP. If you have a job delivering pizza and the owner has bear traps instead of grass in his lawn, you don't have to deliver the pizza.

To be fair, some people really are scared of dogs. My dog is forty pounds of harmless, sad-looking weirdo (albeit with a bark like a Rottweiler) but I wouldn't bring her around my friend who's afraid of dogs due to a childhood trauma. That said, if he doesn't want to deliver to a house with a dog he should just try to switch routes.

I would totally complain. That's no excuse.

Is your name Herbert and your dog's name Jesse?

Mailman have a real phobia when it comes to dogs. Bark shit happens on mail routes.