By Not Engaged - 06/03/2015 23:30 - United Kingdom - Stourbridge

Today, my long-term boyfriend said that if we ever finally get married, his ex-girlfriend will definitely have to be a bridesmaid. FML
I agree, your life sucks 34 517
You deserved it 3 087

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I take it you're not getting married then

Tell him that that's fine, as long as you can find another groom

Comments

Why would the ex even want to be a bridesmaid? It just sounds like a whole lot of bat shit crazy and an all around terrible idea. FYL OP

My ex said the same thing. He wanted all his exes as bridesmaids and really wanted to be in their weddings also. So messed up. IMO, once you truly commit to someone, exes have no place in the picture, much less at YOUR wedding.

On my friend's wedding day, he didn't have any of his ex's there, no matter how good of friends he was with them, just out of respect for his new wife.

I would hear what he has to say about the reasoning behind this decision but unless it's something like "she promised to buy us our dream home" the answer is gonna be no.

#35 I think it depends on how much you care about weddings. I don't care for them but if it means someone's gonna buy me a 300k home then by all means, let's have one.

Compromise. Tell him she can come to the wedding but it's not up to him decide if she should be the bridesmaid or not.

Too bad it isn't his choice who YOUR bridesmaids are

Tell him "fine, but my ex has to be a groom"

If they are really close friends I don't see why he doesn't choose her as a grooms. Bridesmaids are the brides closest friends and grooms men are the guys closest. I don't see anything wrong with her being on his side. Sometimes close friends try dating and it isn't for them. This could be the case.

Grooms MEN #41. Grooms men are boys not girls. OP is a girl so I'm guessing he is straight. Plus he wants his ex to be a bridesmaid so there's a good chance it's a girl. So no she cannot be a grooms MEN.

Actually, a girl CAN be a grooms man, would just be considered a grooms woman.

Well, what if they wanted a more traditional wedding?

You're bridesmaids are supposed to be your support system. Unless you have an agreement where he gets to pick one bridesmaid and you get to pick one groomsmen, then I would tell him that won't be happening. Explain calmly that you have a lot of friends to choose from as is and you would like to have someone there who will be supporting and helping you throughout the wedding planning process.

If this is the same situation as me I can understand. My best friend is my ex. He was a year before we dated and still 3 years later. We tried dating and It wasn't for us. We are one of the most important people to each other. If it's the same, he should have her as one of the grooms, not a brides.

GleefullyMacabre 1

They make tuxedos for women. He could have her as a groomswoman.

I've always wondered about different genders being the brides/groomspeople.