By Anonymous - 18/10/2010 05:28 - United States

Today, my fiancé proposed to me. I was really excited until he asked, "Can we go halfsies on the ring?" FML
I agree, your life sucks 33 126
You deserved it 5 731

Lol_0127 tells us more.

I'm the OP. Let me clarify a few things. He's not suffering finacially. He makes $60,000 a year. I make $20,000. He bought a $3000 ring which was more than enough for me. It's beautiful. I don't want a massive rock. I don't spend all his money. I support myself. We live together. I pay half the rent

Top comments

Wow I am so dumb. When I first read this FML, I thought it meant to half the ring and have half each. I read 5 comments until I realized what it really meant. I am a total failure.

Comments

Well she probably said yes, therefore he is now her fiancé

My mom had to pay for her own ring by herself. My dad didn't put in anything. Not a great way to start a marriage....and yes, they got divorced.

DasHaas 9

Just say No and No !!!!! he's not mature enough.....

maybe you should stop being such a stuck up bitch, if he loves you enough to ask you to marry him, you should love him enough to help him if he's suffering financially.

mjew 7

Thank you for being rational

Love is what matters here, but any man who asks his prospective bride to pay for her own ring obviously does not understand the symbolism or significance behind the gesture. He's supposed to buy the ring because he wants to, not because he feels like he needs to. Any good man should know what an engagement ring means to a woman, and he should want to give her one. That doesn't mean it's an expensive ring. I've seen very nice ones for only a couple hundred bucks, and if he can't afford that, then he didn't even try. There's no rush to get married; you'll be together for the rest of your lives. If he understands that, he should spend some time saving up and get the ring himself. What Ayame said is true... I'd be wary of a man who's in such a rush to marry that he can't afford a decent, inexpensive ring.

Sinkhole 26

An engagement ring doesn't mean the same to every woman, some of us would rather have a good man by our side than have an engagement ring on our finger.

I can't believe how many people are saying he's not worth it. How materialistic are you all!? Exemplifies: I want a family man. translates to- >>I want a rich man. I want a man with goals in life. Translates to- >>I want a rich man. Indeed; I want someone who (insert anything here) >I want a rich man Double standards! >Women are equal in every way! Translates to: "I deserve the benefits of being a man without the bad aspects' Unless of course you are all against equal rights for women.. in which case, carry on moaning.

I guess I fail in that I'm refusing to read between the lines. The OP doesn't say she wants a rich man. I just read this as more of she appreciated the gesture but he ruined the moment with the halfsies remark

#50, amen! It's the gesture, not the amount the ring costs. He ruined the gesture by asking if she'd pay half, instead of maybe getting her a cheaper ring, or saving up for the one he really wanted to get her =)

usnwife 18

My thoughts exactly! I wouldn't mind helping out if he had financial problems - and I DON'T need an expensive ring. But I'd be pretty pissed if he ruined the moment like that!

whoever says don't marry him because he is cheap is a complete dipshit. what's the point of a ring? I could wear a plain 10$ ring. I don't care. as long as I marry the girl that I love. why's a ring matter!?