By oh - 23/02/2016 02:41 - United States - San Francisco

Today, my ex-girlfriend woke up from a coma that lasted a few months. Her parents called me from the hospital shortly after because she was in hysterics that I wasn't there. Apparently she thinks we're still together, and I now have to somehow break up with her again after almost a year apart. FML
I agree, your life sucks 24 552
You deserved it 2 096

Same thing different taste

Top comments

That... really sucks. Although I think it sucks a little more for her than for you. You may not be her boyfriend any more OP but I think the break-up speech can maybe wait a bit until she's been awake for a while and got used to the world around her again. That's a long time to have been in a coma and I imagine it would take a while to adjust. The best thing you can do is be there for her now and try to keep her emotionally well. Who knows, she might remember you've broken up a little down the line. Good luck with it.

She has been in a coma for a few months and they have been apart for a year. What do you think when they broke up?

Comments

Mathalamus 24

If that happened to me, I would try to be a good friend to her, but mention that we are not together anymore. And support her through the entire process.

Everybody saying that he should take that as a chance to try it one more time seems to overlook a simple fact: There was a reason they broke up. Sure, people get together again after a break-up period sometimes, but that requires them to be ready to try again. Which is not the case here. OP can try to ease her into the situation but depending on how long her memory loss will last it could be necessary to break up again. The alternative would be being stuck in a relationship he didn't want (obviously), that's not fair, is it. In any case a difficult situation. I hope her parents / the people around her are helpful. Good luck OP!

Yeah, this is a rough one. People need to remember that you leave somebody because you're no longer happy. They broke up prior to her falling into a coma, and OP having to lay off on telling her the truth (if he goes that route) and acting as though he's still happy and in love with her is pretty unfair. Having to act as though he still cares in that way is rough, and her parents sort of pulled a dick move in my opinion by not telling OP's ex themselves that they were no longer together and passing the buck onto him. That being said, its also rough on OP's ex because the period of time between them splitting and her falling into the coma may have fallen into a memory loss black hole, so whatever she felt back when he first broke up with her will likely come back, and whether OP waits or tells her immediately, it'll still hurt like crazy. OP, if you read this, navigate this situation on the fly. Don't make/take any decisions BEFORE you've been able to meet with your ex, and once you've determined what state of mind she's in, make your move. Be careful of knee jerk reactions on your part, and handle this shit delicately. I don't envy bruh. Good luck.

I understand her parents were worried but seriously, they should not have put you in this situation but instead explain to her that you were separated for a while. Making you breaking up with her again eventually is not going to do her any kindness.

in my opinion, her parents should have tried to break it to her gently after she was calmed down enough. they shouldn't have involved you except as an absolute last resort if they couldn't make her believe it.

Finally the voice of reason. Unless the girl didnt believe it, they shouldnt have called OP. It seems like they left all the problem to him. Of course, I dont know all the story.

That's really horrible for both of you guys. And I think the parents should've tried to do it for you.

She is in a worst position now! Do your best

That's a really awkward situation to be in OP. I think the best thing to do is to speak to her doctor about how best to go about this, as it's entirely possible that due to the trauma, the sudden shock of finding out this truth could be detrimental to her recovery. It's a really horrible situation to be in, but perhaps the best thing you can do might just be to grin and bear it until she's in a stage of recovery where she'd be able to take such news just as well as a typically healthy person would? Definitely worth asking for her doctor's advice though.

I think that the best solution would be to claim he is out of town and then they get her to a point where she can handle it. There was no reason for Op to be dragged into this at all. I don't think, even if she is in a coma, he needs to pretend anything.

I don't think lying to her and keeping al up a charade will help in the long run. Just be honest that you guys aren't together anymore.

Yeah, I don't know why people are suggesting he waste both their time pretending to be together again.

aw this is very common is coma patients. Just take it one step at a time.