218
The illustrated FMLs
By MonsieurH / Thursday 3 April 2014 07:44 / France - Perros-guirec
Add a comment
You must be logged in to be able to post comments!
Create my account Sign in
Top comments
Comments
Reply
  smokecloud_  |  37

I think it depends a lot on the size of the dog, the amount and type of chocolate. Dark chocolate is worse than milk. My pup apparently ate a chocolate Hostess cupcake when he was maybe 20 or 30 pounds and he's fine.

Reply
  ItsATwinThing  |  9

It depends on the percentage of cocoa. Mousse is probably milk chocolate and not that high. It's stool could get a little loose but the dog should be fine, I mean dogs are originally scavangers and pick up all sorts of rubbish.

Reply
  jack_jill05  |  14

Too many negative votes, comment buried. Show the comment

Reply

Everybody chill. LD50 of theobromine for dogs is at about 200mg/kg. Assuming a 20 kg dog, 100g dark chocolate bars with a theobromine content of 10g/kg, about 4 bars would definitely kill the dog. Chocolate mousse is usually less than half pure chocolate, so unless OP upended a huge bowl with about a kilogram of mousse on his furniture (or his dog is really tiny), nothing bad will happen.

Reply

#60, Dogs aren't allergic to chocolate at all. They lack an enzyme needed to process theobromine, a chemical compound found in chocolate; the darker the chocolate, the higher the theobromine concentration.

Reply
  Wild_Marco  |  13

I swear I read somewhere that it takes half of the dogs body weight in chocolate to kill it, so I don't think the dog is in that much danger. My dog has had a small amount of chocolate before and he's still fine, as long as its not too much or often, the dog will live.

Reply
  yesnid  |  2

Too many negative votes, comment buried. Show the comment

Reply
  GreatGeak  |  8

@72 I start at breakfast, using a dolly to take the barrel up the elevator to my desk. that typically keeps me for about 1hour. I've considered hiring a servant to bring me barrels throughout the day, but you know... the cost for them has gone up since that recent servant strike. then i suffer 7 long painful hours until clockout when I go home to a full stock of chocolate moose barrels. last night my stock ran out. fml -cheers

Reply
  hokie16  |  13

My mom still does the stocking thing every year, especially now that I have a 4 year old brother. One year my dog got into my stocking and ate one of those plastic candy canes full of Reeses cups, wrappers and plastic and all. Of course I watched him carefully over the next few days, but it didn't affect him at all. Your dog will be fine OP. :)

Reply
  inbredlefthand  |  10

Too many negative votes, comment buried. Show the comment

Reply
  ek_girl_93  |  1

Too many negative votes, comment buried. Show the comment

Reply
  asparagus12  |  21

OMG, the amount of stupid on this feed is extreme. A spilled cup of chocolate mousse is not going to kill the dog. And only certain types of chocolate are lethal. Resources usually don't differentiate between the types that are lethal because of the fact that Humans are incredibly stupid and need shit simplified. Also, arguing with the FML staff is ridiculous.

Reply
  skittyskatbrat  |  19

Well, it's chocolate mousse. Not dark chocolate. So, unless you have a chihuahua sized dog that ate a cupful of it, no worries. Chocolate mousse is going to have such a low theobromine concentration that you'd have to have a dog with major health issues to have a reaction to it, unless they are small and ate an entire chocoalte mousse pie! Had it been dark chocolate or baking cocoa, worry! That has a much higher concentration! But mousse? Seriously, worry more about dog farts from the milk content. And YDI. Unless it's a puppy, the dog should be trained not to pester you for your food......

Reply
  sjbartholome  |  14

Too many negative votes, comment buried. Show the comment

Reply
  SoulHunter36  |  16

Actually that's only partially true. Though yes the cocoa in chocolate is poisonous to dogs; after the amount of sugar, fat, milk etc. is added to milk chocolate there isn't much of the actual cocoa in the chocolate and is not enough to make a dog ill. A dog would have to eat a large quantity of chocolate to start to feel ill.

Reply
  gothmo  |  8

Actually normal milk chocolate isn't a bad as it seems. It's not good, but it's not as bad. A friend had a smallish dog that ate a good pound of chocolate candies, wrappers and all, and was fine. Essentially the darker the chocolate the worse it is. Mousse I imagine is made with milk chocolate and a lot of other ingredients that ultimately dilute the amount of chocolate the dog ate.

Reply

I just spent quite some time reading these comments. Then realized what a waste of time that was. But I would have to agree. The likelihood of the dog eating enough chocolate moose to die...seems pretty unlikely.

Reply
  RawwrRawwr  |  3

Dogs aren't "allergic" to chocolate in the sense you think of humans being allergic to things. Their bodies just can't process it the right way and it can mess up their digestive tracks and kill them. It's any type of chocolate, not just Baker's Chocolate.

Reply
  spazz666  |  18

#168, so... You never eat/drink anything bad for you? Put down that soda and turn off your TV. While you're at it, the computer is unhealthy too, and you shouldn't use it.

Reply
  Kitana_Rez  |  2

Actually, milk chocolate in that quantity will not harm a dog. A 15lb dog can easily eat a normal sized chocolate bar and be perfectly fine. Now if it was Dark Chocolate, then THAT is when you really have to start worrying.

Reply
  CaptMacLeod  |  45

We used to have a dog that loved candy. She'd constantly steal my father-in-law's Reese's cups and bury them. Every once in awhile we'd see her run by with a wrapper in her mouth. Never found any of her stashes, but by last count, she'd hidden well over a hundred packages. She also never got sick. Guess she knew her limit better than some people.

By  Psychicgirl17  |  18

Too many negative votes, comment buried. Show the comment

Reply
  VasNormandy  |  14

I think people forget that dogs are actually fairly resilient. Chocolate in LARGE amounts are deadly, and I'm pretty sure OP didn't throw a barrel of chocolate for her dog to consume. Chocolate mousse is also diluted chocolate and is usually in a cup or small bowl . If anything, the dog will probably have a bit of loose poop. Not in any way near chocolate poisoning.

Reply
  peacheso  |  31

My nephew allowed my shihtzu to lick the inside of an empty chocolate icecream cup. We spent 7 hours at the vet because she wouldn't stop puking. She ended up passing blood from all exits. 'twas super unpleasant and scary

Reply

Useless info for the day: the danger with chocolate is theobromine. Humans can also overdose, just like dogs, or cats, or rats, but can metabolize it faster and are thus able to ingest more before overdosing. Cocoa beans themselves only contain about 1.2% theobromine by weight, while processed chocolate has even smaller amounts. That's why the dog was fine and why most people are just overreacting if they freak out when their dog eats some small amount of chocolate. Humans can have approximately 1,000 mg for every kg that they weigh which is actually almost the same for rats. Dogs can only have about 300 mg/kg. Cats are even more sensitive and can only have about 200 mg/kg, but are less likely to consume it in the first place because they cannot taste sweetness.

Reply
  drewflav  |  15

Too many negative votes, comment buried. Show the comment

Reply
  leary96  |  15

I hope you realize that the dog will only really die of dehydration if OP doesn't fill it's water bowl. Chocolate does to dogs what lactose does to lactose intolerant humans, it gives them diarrhea and or makes then throw up.

Reply
  Jessssuhh  |  17

Too many negative votes, comment buried. Show the comment

Reply
  yesnid  |  2

But they may not be on the same level of deadliness. It's like a scale where some things are deadlier than others so you can't really say because they survived the amount of one thing they will survive the same amount if it's another thing. It could be the same amount of garlic is more dangerous.

Reply
  Jacqui_Meowth  |  11

You know what else is toxic? Water. If you consume enough, water will kill you, the thing to remember is the LD50, which is the dose required to kill approximately 50% of the population. A little bit by accident, especially with the toxic substance so minuscule, may make the dog feel a bit green but in no way will kill it or cause permanent damage. On a different note, there are alternative forms of chocolate that are safe for dogs, like carob chocolate, which contains no thrombine and is often used in baking or in yoghurt drops for dogs.

By  breakinlegs  |  19

Maybe you need to get a bit more vocal with your pet. My dog pesters sometimes but, if I just raise my voice slightly she knows to go lay down and wait. Let work on controlling your pet for it's own safety.

Loading data…