By Anonymous - 18/03/2015 07:06 - United States

Today, my dad spent 30 minutes incorrectly correcting me about our legal system. He thinks he knows more than me because he's been divorced twice. I'm a lawyer. FML
I agree, your life sucks 35 135
You deserved it 2 434

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Steffi3 40

Sounds like he's divorced for a reason

Wow, he must be AWFUL at courting. Huehuehue

Comments

TheEpicKitten 20

Well clearly if OP spent 30 minutes arguing why he was wrong, I would assume not.

Sorry OP, I'm also a lawyer here in Mexico and this happens to me way too often, some family members think they know everything because they saw it on t.v. Or heard something about a similar case... so yeah it can be very frustrating!

megunn 1

I feel your pain. I'll have been licensed for 20 years this May, and have spent almost all that time practicing criminal law. In addition to having briefly been a cop upwards of 40 years ago, my father served on a jury last year in a murder case. Guess who now knows EVERYTHING about criminal law (something I would personally never claim, because I learn new things all the time!), and can somehow bring a conversation about absolutely anything under the sun around to what happened with that trial? Take a deep breath and "go into the zone". There is no way to win this one.

Oh boy, do I know the feeling. At a birthday party for my nephew a while back, both my sister and her new boyfriend were harassing me for legal advise, since I'm a lawyer and they were both in the middle of a divorce. Apparently they didn't like the answers they were given, so I was wrong and they were right. Only when a friend of hers confirmed what I said, did they believe me. The friend works at a welding station in a factory and was right, I'm a lawyer but don't know what I'm talking about. FML indeed...

Indeed there's no cure for ignorance ... Just be the bigger person, let him have his moment of victory. Probably your dad is a bit insecure about his abilities and maybe he wants to asserts his dominance in front of you. If you know what you're worth, you don't need other people to agree with you and you can easily listen to what the other person has to say. Even from stupid people you can learn something, which is: they're not worth listening to ;-)

The question at hand is here is what type of lawyer are you? If you practice something other than that there is a chance he might be right. That goes for any profession there are multiple fields practice. Example Doctors.

Good thing you didn't get his idiot gene.

I know that all too well, I have a friend who is apparently pro at everything, even first time he does it. FYL OP some people are too thick skulled to realize school/practice/training is what gets creditable skills and knowledge