By haztod - 30/03/2014 21:52 - United Kingdom - Edinburgh

Today, my boyfriend made me sit in his kitchen while he Skyped his mother because he doesn't "feel ready" to tell her he has a girlfriend. He's 23, lives on a different continent and has been dating me for over 6 months. FML
I agree, your life sucks 43 849
You deserved it 5 196

haztod tells us more.

Hi, OP here - I'm super surprised this got posted! Just to clear some things up: my boyfriend is American and studying here in the UK. I have met his sister and we get along super well, but not anyone else in his family, nor do they know he's dating someone. From what I understand, his parents - especially his dad - aren't really big on relationships, especially when studying, as they can be seen as a distraction. I know for a fact that it was his mom as they usually do voice calls and I sit quietly, but she wanted a video chat so I shifted rooms on this occasion; there's definitely not another girl in the picture! I spoke to him about it after the call and explained that it upset me a little and made me feel like he had to hide me, and he was very apologetic and felt guilty - he told me this was his first serious relationship and he wasn't really sure what the right steps were in terms of parents or when they should happen which I actually found quite sweet. This is definitely not a deal breaker - he is so wonderful I wouldn't let something like this ruin our relationship! He just Skyped his mom again tonight and told her the news, so it's no longer an issue. He has met all my family and they adore him, so no issues there!

Top comments

And that's not a deal breaker for you why?

An option would be to walk up to the camera in your birthday suit and tell him you missed your period the last two months.

Comments

im not sure what the whole situation is here, but if hes a foreigner, his might have different perspectives, especially when it comes to courtship, so maybe you should tone it down a bit

Try reading OP's follow-up. Explains things nicely.

Find a man with some balls. at 23 he should have a pair