By Emma Eisnor - 18/06/2018 06:14

Today, my boyfriend tried to be nice and change my oil, but he accidentally emptied all my transmission fluid into the pan. When he poured it back into my car, we realized he never put the cap back on and all my transmission fluid was poured all over the ground. FML
I agree, your life sucks 3 667
You deserved it 535

Emma Eisnor tells us more.

Yay my second FML posted! He was trying to do something nice. I wasn’t really that mad. He drove to the store and bought me more transmission fluid so we were fine. He’s a sweetheart, my oil never got changed though haha.

Top comments

I never said I could do it. I barely understood what he was doing. That doesn’t make it any less stressful though

Just like how my dad always tries to be a plumber to fix the pipelines and ends up flooding the house, and ultimately calls for help..

Comments

Luke16eirb7deneuwn1 20

And ppl always say women can't handle tech... (I do not mean that men can't. Neither do I mean that women can't)

And today you learned not to have your boyfriend work on your car. It could have been worse....

Donut_Wizard 23

Those are some unusual euphemisms

Yay my second FML posted! He was trying to do something nice. I wasn’t really that mad. He drove to the store and bought me more transmission fluid so we were fine. He’s a sweetheart, my oil never got changed though haha.

I hope he checked which type of ATF your vehicle needs. There are different types, and the wrong one can kill a transmission.

Okay, I'll come to boyfriend's defense, depending on the make and model it is an easy enough mistake to make, particularly if you've never heard of a transmission having it's own drain plug. Also, it's probably not ALL of the transmission fluid. It's typically only a two or three quarts that can be emptied out of the drain plug (as opposed to a full-scale flushing of it) and can probably still be driven in a pinch. At least to the nearest service station (unless you live out in the middle of nowhere). I did the exact same thing with my Pontiac Vibe/Toyota Matrix (same car, different badge). Didn't realize it until after I hit the highway and my tailpipe started poring out white smoke since the engine now had too much oil in it and the acceleration pushed the issue. The transmission had been acting up a bit, but being a new driver I didn't think much of it. The mechanic balanced out the fluids to where they were supposed to be and everything was fine, no significant damage done.

I hope you took your car to the shop after, just in case. Usually it’s not so straight forward to completely refill a transmission, there are sometimes bleeding procedures to be observed. And then don’t let the boy touch your car again. It sounds like he has two left hands and doesn’t do well with stressful situations, since he forgot to put the drain plug back in. Especially do not let him touch safety critical components like the brakes and ABS unit ...

I think you and I dated the same moron. Mine only realized he had drained my transmission fluid when he went to dump it and it was the wrong color. So he poured it back in and hand tightened the cap that took him break away to loosen in the first place. He then decided not to tell me about it because he was sure I wouldn't figure it out with my tiny female brain. I leaked transmission fluid all over the city for about a week before I finally got the truth out of him in time to take my car to a real mechanic and save myself a total transmission overhaul.

leave automotive work to the professionals. people dont know wtf theyre doing... that mess up could have costed you thousands

TinScarecrow 15

There is no way I'm gonna leave something as simple as an oil change to the professionals every time

Whytboy17 4

He shouldn't be nice if he doesn't know what he's doing. Some people have no business under the hood of a car

Justine Malang 16

Lol, is he new to work? That's a kind initiative but he doesn't know what he's doing at all.