By Chelsey5279 - 31/10/2015 04:05 - United States

Today, my boyfriend broke up with me because I'm boring and never go to the bar with him. He knows I'm a recovering alcoholic. FML
I agree, your life sucks 28 317
You deserved it 2 226

Chelsey5279 tells us more.

Chelsey5279 6

I wasn't planning on commenting if this got published, but I decided to create an account to thank you guys for your supportive comments. I also wanted to add that I do know I'm better off, it's just difficult because we have a daughter together. Thankfully I have an amazing support system around me and I don't have to deal with this by myself

Top comments

Good. Now you have room to find people that will actually support you in your recovery.

Alcohol: the cause and solution to most of life's problems.

Comments

You are better off! If he really cared, he would not attempt to pressure you into drinking, especially considering your history. Stay strong! I pray everything works out!

He probably found someone at the bar...but you are better off

MzZombicidal 36
Chelsey5279 6

I wasn't planning on commenting if this got published, but I decided to create an account to thank you guys for your supportive comments. I also wanted to add that I do know I'm better off, it's just difficult because we have a daughter together. Thankfully I have an amazing support system around me and I don't have to deal with this by myself

I'm glad you aren't alone and I think you're very strong. You do what's best for you and your daughter. Anyone that can't accept that you are better off without! I wish you the best luck

Alcohol is overrated. He's probably an alcoholic himself! Maybe he can go to AA for help too

OP, I'm so sorry! I felt bad for you until I read that you have a daughter... Now I feel bad for you and her :( your ex is a selfish SOB for leaving you over that, especially because you have a child together.

Exactly, he's very selfish & he's a coward for doing so. If someone doesn't want to do something, that does not mean you should break up with them. I wish you the best of luck OP! Hope you're doing fine & hope things go well in your life :).

as a recovering alcoholic myself, I am happy to hear you have a strong support system in place. Sucks you have to deal with the idiot ex because of a child together, but continue to lean on the awesome support system and I wish you all the best on the recovery. Its been 18 years for me, and I still lean on the support system every so often. Its a long tough road, but its the road best taken.

Chelsey5279 6

Thank you everyone. Your supportive comments really do mean a lot. 65- congratulations on 18 years sober!

scoobysnarks 15

Hang in there, OP. Your SO is a hosehead. I'd be ashamed if I were him.

DeadxManxWalking 27

why does he want to go out to bars when he had you and the child to worry about?

What a jerk. I know he's your daughter's father but still, he should be more understanding of why you don't want to drink anymore.

thunderniron 22

As a fellow recovering person, I'd suggest you either find someone that doesn't drink or is willing to either stop or make drinking a very low priority. Not someone that's at a bar regularly. I'd also be willing to bet he keeps alcohol in the house. That's not respect.

It's obvious that you would never important to him , or meant very much to him

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

As a recovering alcoholic I am not boring, just because you admit yourself as being boring doesn't mean all recovering alcoholics are, it's easy to have fun without alcohol, you just have to know how. the people who call people who have fun without alcohol boring are actually the boring ones because they can only have a certain type of fun. I agree though If she's new to recovering she will have to learn how to have fun without alcohol because for a long time she will have only ever had drunk fun.

I'm sorry apparently I came across wrong. I made the assumption she is a new recovering alcoholic, as am I and we can be boring because we are learning to have fun without alcohol. Perhaps you are further in your recovery and I'm happy for you if you are. I know lots of recovering alcoholics who are very fun and have made it past the stage I am in and what I assumed OP is in. I never said all recovering alcoholics are boring. And instead of down voting me let's all support each other.

Also why are you getting up voted and I'm getting down voted when you just agreed with me. I even offered support to OP. You just said people new to recovery have to learn how to have fun without alcohol. I said that too. Have you never been to AA or something? Because they are some of the most fun outgoing people. You just have to get past a certain point and retrain your brain to be positive and outgoing. It's like your implying it just happens overnight.

Chelsey5279 6

I get what you're trying to say. This isn't my first attempt at recovery, so it's not something I'm new to. I have learned how to have fun in ways that don't involve alcohol. I was always trying to come up with fun things to do with my ex, but that's hard to do when someone is only interested in going to the bar or club and says no anytime you suggest something different.

I don't understand why you're getting down voted, you made perfect sense and a great point, I agreed with your argument, people on fml work weirdly hahahaha,

justanotherday7 7

Ok what a jerk had same kind of thing happen to me. You are not alone. Stay strong and forget about this loser

aeryn97 17

you deserve better OP. chin up. you will find someone amazing