By cupnoodles - 28/10/2012 20:14 - United States - Stony Brook

Today, my boyfriend and I were preparing for the arrival of Hurricane Sandy. I tasked him with going out to buy emergency groceries in case we lose power. He returned with dozens of microwave cup noodles. We're going to starve. FML
I agree, your life sucks 28 996
You deserved it 3 930

cupnoodles tells us more.

OP here! My boyfriend bought regular cup noodles, but our building uses electricity for hot water. We ended up buying one of those hot plates, which was a good investment! Although his comment was really uncalled for, speaking respectfully to #1, I think that everyone has their own issues to deal with. We use this site for each others entertainment and to tell others general issues we have as people. Similarly to how you MIGHT post about getting stuck at home from, what maybe many New Yorkers consider, a little amount of snow and saying FML, I am doing the same about about a, what you consider, little category 1 storm. I hope your mood turns around because taking it out on someone you don't know over the internet will only cause a lot of psychological damage to you and potentially someone who is not self-actualized or confident. The area we live in is currently in danger of a power outage, but I think we're ready for it! Thank you everyone for all their warm prayers and so much more! :)

Top comments

A hurricane is a hurricane no matter where it is. People have died already. Plus living in a hurricane prone are isn't something to brag about. Shut up.

corruptedlol 2

That famous Southern Hospitality is really showing.

Comments

billyw02 5

Editing of my first comment, as I accidentally clicked send before I finished: You're kidding me right? "Oh no! My microwave isn't working? How will I ever boil water without it?" Old fashioned, that's how. A fireplace. Sure you might have to find a way to vent the smoke without opening the top of the chimney, but it's a cheap easy way of boiling water without electricity. And to everyone suggesting portable grills and that kind of stuff, they release off extremely dangerous gases, which is why it says on the package never to grill charcoal indoors. And yeah, try opening a window in the middle of a hurricane to let the carbon dioxide out. See where that goes.

Are you kidding me? Not everyone has a fireplace.

And what is your advice to those who do not have a fireplace? Set a fire in their kitchen?

My house does not have a fireplace either. My grill is also way to big to wheel inside. I guess could build a fire on my kitchen floor and hope I don't burn down my house.

Today, there seems to be a major lack in Common Sense on this particular FML.

Wow. Forget about boiling water, just eat them raw. I do that all the time XD Put a little seasoning on it, crunch it up and you're good to go!

reelucy 0

if you regularly eat things like microwave noodles (which I would assume you do since he purchased them) I am pretty sure you won't starve since your eating habits tend toward the unhealthy side and you probably have enough extra weight that you can live off of. hunger and starving are two separate things. perhaps this will be good for you.

Why would you just assume something like that? First of all, the electricity could go out for days or even a week or so. I would know because I went for 4 days without electricity at college when Hurricane Ivan hit the panhandle in the fall of 2004. And that college was more well known for getting itself back on the grid early. Second, just because people eat things like microwave noodles doesn't mean that that is all they eat, or even a majority of what they eat. I have a lot of ramen noodles at my house, but that doesn't mean I eat that nonstop. That's more like for emergency use only, such as running out of other food until I can afford to replenish my stock. Lastly, there are actually some people out there who can eat just about anything and still not retain that weight. It's in their metabolism. I knew a girl who could eat a whole pizza at a meal and she was still very slim. You are way too presumptuous of these people and quite condescending.

You need to pour water on them - and if you like the water cold, bon appetite. I like the water warm.

In a place built as high as New York any level of storm is a bad thing to be fair.

noisebox 1

You can eat those things like chips...

all you do is add hot water and let them sit for a bit. seems like he made a smart choice to me. if you have a few candles and a pie plate you can heat the water for them. i hope you don't have to and that you guys are safe through the hurricain!

Well... I am sure lucky to live in Central Europe, where we do not meet hurricanes and so on. Hang in there, people.

I wish all of you the best, although I think it would be a hypocrisy to say anything about praying for you, given that I am an atheist. So I just wish all of you no problems from the hurricane and if you will have any, let it be as little problems as possible:-)

So now to boil some water you need electricity, huh? I guess you had never gone camping

Yes, but setting a fire in your kitchen is ...a little weird, you know :-)