By Wolfrunner87 - 13/07/2015 05:06 - Australia - Broadmeadows

Today, my bosses were boasting about their work-funded retreat, including the $1,800 bottle of wine the company paid for. This would be fine if they hadn't just told me there are no funds to pay me for the work they've got me doing. We are also the biggest company in our industry. FML
I agree, your life sucks 28 382
You deserved it 1 950

Same thing different taste

Top comments

If the company can afford to send them on a retreat and an expensive bottle of wine, then they can afford to pay you for your work there. Go to HR and explain the situation. If they don't do anything, go above their head.

Comments

Standard. Different budget for different things. I agree it sucks, but its very common.

Typical. Employers always claim poverty when it comes to paying their staff for over time hours worked or even when they deserve a pay rise but they sure have no problem wasting money incorporate dinners, outings or in my employers case an expensive company can that never ever gets used and sits in the parking lot taking up space.

or better yet boycott their business and inform everyone you can about their practices. not sure about there in Australia, but here in the USA we have free speech and freedom of the press. our local and national news papers would have a field day with this type of human interest story.

jezka374 15

Quit. No excuses to have an employee that you can't pay. Poor management is what that is. Report it. If they don't do something, take it to the local news station. Bet something happens then

curiouslilbird 19

Truly FYL, OP. I only hope reporting it to HR (or local news stations if nothing else) will get you the recompense you deserve and need.

Are you an intern? A friend of mine was in the same position as you, so he then set up a meeting with the boss, made a presentation about why he should be paid and be a full employee, and ended up getting a job in the end. There's always funds, you just need to show them that you're worth funding...

When a door closes, a window opens. You'll find a better, paying, job.

well there arent. they were appropriated for a retreat. were you not paying attention?