By that violates the Geneva conventions - 05/08/2016 09:33 - United States - Simi Valley

Today, my boss ordered me to read the Twilight series in order to determine if they are "appropriate" for his daughter to read. I'm a 25-year-old bank teller, and I definitely don't remember this in my job description. FML
I agree, your life sucks 15 455
You deserved it 989

Same thing different taste

Top comments

If it's an order from your boss then presumably you can read the books at work on full pay? Although personally I'd rather be working!

I've known sadistic bosses, but that takes the cake! Any chance you can tell yours that based on what you've heard, those books aren't appropriate for anyone to read?

Comments

And....cue the Twilight hate. Oh wait, it's already here. As a Twilight fan, though, honestly it depends on the age of the girl and what she's allowed to read. Yeah there are references to sex and things, but nothing like some books. It's not like the boss asked you to read Fifty Shades of Grey. But seriously, that is a stupid thing to make an employee do. Does the guy not have the Internet? He can find more honest reviews of actual readers than forcing an employee to do it.

not my choice of book, but getting paid to read instead of deal with customers sounds like a giant win to me!

Garnetshaddow 30

I laughed SO hard at that username! Well done.

Garnetshaddow 30

I think I'll get pretty harshly downvoted... but I'm glad somebody is at least admitting to reading. The Twilight books weren't fantastic and can have some pretty sinister interpretations. I thought if you just let it play as a romance, they're kinda sweet. Not my go-to. Not something I'll read again probably. I personally thought "Hunger Games" was WAY worse. Again... I should be glad people are reading books. However it's basically a less likable Bella who ends up with Jacob instead of Edward using the plot of Battle Royale. (A VASTLY underrated classic... for those who can stomach the brutality of the story.) It all comes down to taste. Not everybody enjoyed Song of Ice and Fire... even if they do enjoy the TV spin off of that series.

SteveDudleyUK 10

When you said "Of course boss. Read in works time or at overtime rates at home?" what did he say?

ulissey_fml 22

He's our boss and he can't read ?? Any other parenting task he thinks you should do for him ?

Easy enough, those books are not suitable for any one, as there really badly written and just crap.... Start a fire!

The books are all right (not great, but not the worst things I've ever read.) It's the movies you want to keep her away from.

Well, those are slightly different, I think. In the books that you mentioned, those bad things are in the book and are very clearly seen as bad. The very settings are those bad things happening. Twilight isn't a commentary on the dangers of abusive relationships, it just is one being painted as a good relationship. If Bella was in an abusive relationship that she was trying to get out of the whole time, or even if Edward was just painted more as a villain, then it would have been comparable to the other books that you mentioned.

blink831forever 13

I'm sorry the visual is just too funny. Just read the Wikipedia synopsis and you will be fine.