By State - 19/03/2017 02:00

Today, my best friend asked me to be the best man at his wedding. I had to decline because the bride's family has deep prison gang ties and I'm a correctional officer. FML
I agree, your life sucks 7 353
You deserved it 551

Same thing different taste

Top comments

chessu 21

that sucks, maybe you can still show your support in other ways.

Comments

For those that are confused, when you are hired in law enforcement, corrections or otherwise, you sign an ethics contract. Every ethics/moral code I've seen includes a clause that's states you SHALL not have contact or a relationship with known felons. The result of violating this is an automatic termination of your employment and not being able to be hired elsewhere. Since for most people, LE is a career, it's a big deal. I had a childhood friend that unbeknownst to me had gotten heavily into meth. I felt bad telling her that we couldn't be friends anymore, it wasn't a judgement of her, I just cared about my future in my job.

that sounds utterly messed up. what of your family commited a crime?

Damn, OP. Maybe this will convince your best friend to have a scaled-down wedding consisting of him, his fiancée, and a couple of witnesses, of which you'd be one? I know I'd be rethinking my guest list for any event in which my best friend couldn't come due to a number of prison gang members also being on the list.

onceuponatime456 16

Time for you and your best friend to have a heart to heart about where his life is headed!

maybe you should make better friends lol

is that not allowed or is there a safety thing?

squiros 2

it's a conflict of interest. every mention of anything illegal will now be the responsibility of the correctional officer - which would likely ruin the wedding at best. then there's the opposite - uncle tommy gets busted a month later for the murder of 3 gang members, who would he naturally think outed him? even if correctional officer actually had nothing to do with it, it's essentially only a matter of time before the side of the law you choose, because it's a career, divides your friendship.

morningmonster 18