This is a Nearly FML. It’s an FML, nearly. It got positive votes from the users, by wasn’t approved by our team.

By jealousy much? - 18/07/2018 19:00

Today, my boyfriend and I announced to my son and his daughter that they'll have a half-sibling soon. His daughter was stunned, and my son disgustedly went: "No! No! NO! Your unemployment and his disability checks aren't even enough to pay for the bills of this house!" He's 14. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 571
You deserved it 7 236

Top comments

If what he said is true, what the hell are you thinking having another child?

I mean to be fair, it's not jealousy if he's pointed out anything that's accurate. If it's inaccurate you should assure him of that and assure them both that having a new sibling doesn't mean they mean any less or not enough. Sounds like he's concerned about finances and to a point that a fourteen year old might be ahead of his peers on. Trust me if he's already considering financial burdens he's probably scrutinizing himself harshly about them as well and that can mess you up at that age. Especially if you wind up with a surprise genetic disease that only amplifies your anxiety about that stuff.

Comments

If what your son said is true, those are very valid concerns. Children cost a lot to raise and you already have two who still need quite a few years of caring for and a good education, which might cost even more depending on where you live...On the plus side, your son sounds like he has a good head on his shoulders and has a good sense of priorities

Burle 17

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

The boyfriend's daughter, not the son's. If you notice she said THEY will have a new half-sibling soon.

Burle 17

Ah, I see. In my defense "they" is a complicated pronoun these days

bl3ur0z3 17

They did not announce to her son and granddaughter that they were going to have a half sibling. That would be extremely awkward.

Mungolikecandy 19

Sounds like a mature young man who faces up to reality.

And reality is harsh to him...Always the smartest ones suffer the most...

chris_lillo 15

I thought his 14 year old son had a daughter.....

IrieStorm 9

It took me an embarrassingly long minute to realize you meant your boyfriend's daughter, and not your son's daughter.

ambersayshii123 17

Same here. I had to read it a bunch of times to figure it out. I was like wtf lol

EarthsMightiestHeroes 20

the number 1 thing I can't stand is people who live off the government for their entire lives, EBT, disability, WICs, etc., especially when they are able-bodied and lazy. it makes me sick. I'm glad your son learned at a young age that it's unacceptable. YDI so hard for having children you can't even afford. Your son is doomed to a life of financial insecurities and anxieties.

I see where you are coming from but I'm sure most people on disability need it and have genuine problems.

bl3ur0z3 17

Did anything in the post indicate able bodied people living off government forever? Disability is for people who are not able bodied (and is not easy to get) and unemployment is most definitely not forever. Shove your excessive judgement up your ass.

WIC is for the child and just because someone might collect that doesn't mean they don't work. I would rather every mom apply and receive that than have starving children. A lot of the time though they do work and make less than required by state law to qualify for it. Disability they don't just hand out to every American who isn't working. They have to go through tests and tons of doctors appointments to prove they are not able bodied to work if they are not found disabled by the first specialist. They have these programs for ones who actually do need them. I get some people do abuse the system but that's not everyone.

adelaine782002 17

hey asshole, I was working as a corrections officer for Missouri department of corrections for five years till my head injury at work. Now I'm on disability for the rest of my life thanks to workers compensation doctors for not allowing me to go back to work! Who are you to judge! God is the only one who can judge! So do us all a favor and shut the hell up! 🤬

EarthsMightiestHeroes 20

What a coincidence, I too live and work in Missouri. I work at a grocery store/supermarket as a cashier. I see lots, and I mean lots, of EBT and WIC users. And some of them are on it for a reason (loss of income, foster children, etc) But I can't tell you the number of times I've seen people so cracked out on meth they can't do anything but smack their lips and shake, and they pay with food stamps. Or people so morbidly obese they can't walk anymore buy nothing but frozen pizzas, junk food, and soda, then put it on an EBT cause they have "disability". Or the single Russian mothers come in with 5 or 6 children and all they do is hand me a WIC packet. My own uncle claimed $90,000 in "disability" from his state (he is morbidly obese and very lazy) and spent every dime in 30 days, an amount that was meant to last him several months, even years, combined with over government support. I don't doubt there are people that need government support and aid, I don't... but I've seen more abusers than I want to admit and it makes me angry that this stuff happens.

Congratulations, OP you have a very wise son. If he is right, why are you having another child?

thatslifeiguess7 16

If that's true are you having this baby for the welfare? As a social worker I know that the 14 year old will be unable to get Aid under you in 4 years. Ridiculous this FML is for those 3 kids. Oh and welfare considers pregnancy a disability up to the kids 2nd birthday.

thatslifeiguess7 16

Oh and the 14 year old can't get a job till 15. If I was this child I'd get emancipated and move out